building a corecell deck

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Bentwood, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Bentwood

Bentwood Bentwood

I am building a 32' sailboat and would like to use 1/2 core cell instead of 1/2 plywood for the core. The design calls for 24 oz woven roving on both sides of the core. I wonder how to lay the deck using corecell?
    Should I use plain corecell and force it into a 1/24 camber? If so, how would I get the inside layer of 24 oz roving between the deck beams? If I put the inside roving on first, the core cell might be to stiff to make the camber. Alternatively, if I thermoform the corecell to the deck camber, then remove it from the deck and lay the roving in, would the piece fit back onto the deck?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

I'm not sure how well you'll like this idea but...

...you could make a mold of the underside of the deck. Use two long solid boards as "stringers", then cut some plywood frames with the 1/24 camber, attach them to the stringers and bend a sheet of plywood over them. Now lay some plastic over this plywood (or formica), spray down mold release, and lay up your fiberglass, foam, and fiberglass sandwhich. Vacuum bag the deck sandwhich to the mold. After it has cured, pull the deck out and cut it into shape (if you didn't do that first).