Build yourself a boat and do a lap, crazy or not?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by deepsix, Jan 22, 2008.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

To be fair (as Kay9 states) like all officials the coastguard are working to a set of rules, no doubt under heavy stress, and not only must they follow those rules (no matter how stupid they may seem to the guys doing the job - you can bet your bottom dollar that they knew it was a heap of poo, but could do nothing about it!) they MUST ALSO BE SEEN TO BE FAIR and playing the game. Pity the poor skipper of that Coast Cuard cutter who knows he has a 'crock of 5h1t' and knows that whatever happens his head is on the chopping block, but because of the 'rules' he can do nothing! Not an enviable position to be in!!!

2. masalai

masalai masalai

This is a case, In my humble opinion, where it would be valid to get the "adventurer" to sign a release which states clearly "DO NOT SEARCH FOR ME, DO NOT HELP ME" and becomes a legal document which has international impact as soon as it is published in "notices" & internet.... Any country of departure should be able to issue this as a condition of clearance, else the offending vessel is towed back and destroyed at "owners expense"

That way the rest of the responsible cruising/sailing fraternity do not end up paying for the stupidity of the few idiots with a death wish...

does that make sense?

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

tin can

Masalai you are correct with your release form:cool: . If the ******* wants to commit suicide let him AT HIS OWN EXPENSE:mad: .

One thing that i have to give him credit for is his ability to attract attention and publicity for his books / writings:D .
    Hope he secured advance payments for his equally well qualified wife / widow.

Imagine she could retire to Hollywood and go live next to OJ Simpson, then they can both write sad stories - get rich - and sit next to Britney (no panties:D ) in night clubs! Only in America!

Confession
    I am also some kind of an idiot - I love this story and have read everything i could on it.

Watch out now for the next flood of copy cats that will crawl out of the woodwork:D

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

tin can

Please keep the photos coming they are excellent entertainment:D :D :D

5. deepsix

deepsix Senior Member

Brace yourself here comes the scary stuff. Most of these photos are taken by Erik Simonson 2008 of H2oshots.

[​IMG]
    Photo is reproduced with permission from Erik Simonson 2008 - www.h2oshots.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unknown Photographer
    [​IMG]
    Photo from Lia Ditton from Dream On, on Sailing Anarchy
    [​IMG]
    Unknown Photographer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would like to thank Erik and Peter, they went out and took these photos for our entertainment at their expense.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Deepsix please let Erik and Peter know that we thank them as well. I have some friends in LA and SD working for vessel assist. They are going to try to intercept and get some more photos......if he makes it that far.

K9

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

The biggest concern is what happens if the dude actually does the lap succesfully?
    The second biggest concern I have comes with the inevitable occasion of shipwrecking. Not this particular tin can, but other vessels having collisions with this potential "ghost wreck". I'm afraid this thing won't sink, instead it will stay mostly submerged only three sharp bows pointing up:!:

8. deepsix

deepsix Senior Member

I have thanked them and sent a link to the thread, so im sure they will have a peek. Try get us those pictures when he comes past.

9. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

The word is out down the CA coast. BoatsUS and Vessel Assist issued an alert about him this morning.

K9

10. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

looks like a hatch acually ,,underwater,,,the only thing between him and a sinking is a piece of lexan or plastic,,someone please stop him ,,,longliner

11. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Yes its his "escape" hatch.........But hey he is an "adventurer" and we should allow him his dreams, and not stop his IDIOTIC actions.

Sorry I was reading some of the posts at sailing anarchy.

*shakes head*

K9

12. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

the man has the adventurer spirit,,,I would like to help him,if he wants it,he aparently has some skills,,,,,but needs to smoth out the rough ends,,,longliner

13. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

14. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Ok I just talked to the Captain of the Santa Cruz Vessel Assist. David Mann called them last nite to come out 30 miles and tow him in because he was seeing failures in his welds and bolts, and he was hearing "scary" noises.

They didnt get any pictures.

I was also told by Vessel Assist Santa Cruz, that he is cancelling his plans for this year, he is going to try to get his boat back to San Fran, and rebuild it.

K9

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

tin can

longliner sorry to disapoint you - the man has only one skill - to get silly people like myself to read ALL about this unbelievably STUPID adventure? The guy is a *****. BUT we need this kind of sadistic entertainment because its beter than the current flood of reality shows on DSTV. I actually hope the idiot makes money from this nonsence.