Build a Freestanding or buy a Traditional mast?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Kaptin-Jer, Mar 21, 2008.

1. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Darn, why didn't I think of that! :)

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

I'll see if my old boss knows what section it used and what other boats used the same one.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

You are right

Z531 Mast
    Z360 Boom

Z531 Mast also used on these Beneteau Models:
    FIRST 32S
    FIRST 345
    FIRST 345S
    FIRST 35S7
    FIRST 36S7
    FIRST CLASS 12

The blow ups show that the masthead is a bolt on (not welded), if just the tube is trashed, you could get a bare mast and duplicate the original and transfer parts.

Other boats may use the section too.

US Spars is in Carolina (IIRC)

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Thanks Teddy, but I like Par's Idea

Actually I will contact Zspar and Carolina now that I know the section. You all have been great. (Even you Paul)
    Jerry

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Okay Jerry, lets have some fun. Tape off the perimeter of the transom, say about 3/4" inboard of the edges, which will simulate planking thickness. Then apply some 1/16" or thinner veneers of mahogany or other pretty wood, athwartship, varnish up nice and pretty. Or you could use some of the new "Chromeveil" available from "FiberGlast" (http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-DVDs and VideosChromaveil-190.html) which will give you a sweet looking wooden transom, but it's not wood and can be applied paper thin and clear or gel coated smooth.

The wooden transom would be just the accent to compliment the wooden, birdsmouth mast and spars you build for less then a few hundred bucks of white spruce framing lumber, from Lowes/Depot.

7. Roly

Roly Senior Member

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

No Par, that stuff is too expensive, I can epoxy a couple of sheets of mahogany door skin to the transom then put about 8 coats of varnish on it. That should have it looking Sweet!!
    Should I use Mast hoops or nail a channel to the wooden spar for the sail?
    Par I was really thinking about cutting down a lamp post. The one's on I-95 seem to be about the right length.

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Roly,
    I saw this about 3-4 months ago and contacted him. This is a keel stepped mast mine is deck stepped. It also has that "dimple" that is suspect. There have been a few offers that he has turned down. I also asked him about shipping thats when he stopped emailing. He said that would be my problem. He wasn't the easiest guy to deal with,
    but thanks for the heads-up

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Use a track for the full batten cars.

11. Roly

Roly Senior Member

KJ,
    Seems to me you are ahead of schedule-how do you do that?
    My project seemed to just go backwards for the first 3 yrs until we had just about nothing left! We will end up with an infinitely stronger boat than before, though.
    So, I guess it is worth the wait.
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=3AcuGzRozZOeA&emid=sharshar&linkid=link4

12. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

OK PAR ... you owe me a keyboard ... spit my beer over that ...

Track and battcars on a $200 Home Depot wood mast ... :D

You sound like some of my customers ... :(

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Roly,
    Boy you found an old post. Same with my project. It has taken 3 years to get this far and by 'this far' I mean hull restored, deck restored and both painted. I have 70% of the interior wood re-varnished at home. That is it. I pulled the motor out this week end to get that working, so you see I have at least 2 more years of week-end work. My goal is to get it looking decent and the motor working, so I can move it to a cheaper place. Almost there.

But mean while I have to put up being the recipient of Par's humor. Which I will put up with, because he has been a great help to me in the past, and some of my amateurish questions deserve his charming wit.

14. poochpounder

poochpounder New Member

I also want to have a freestanding mast on my 1978 Cheoy Lee Offshore 41. I also spoke at length with Eric Sponbreg and he would sell me plans for, in his words, $500 - $1,000. These would be the plans for a mast that he designed for a Spencer 42, which has pretty much the same dimensions as my Cheoy Lee. Then I spoke with the owner of the Spencer 42, who beefed up his hull and built the carbon fibre/epoxy mast himself. He loves it and says the boat is all around much better. Quite co-incidentally, he sold his old aluminum mast to his neighbor, who put it on his Cheoy Lee Offshore 41, who reported increased performance. Sponberg estimates that the cost to build my own pre-preg carbon fibre mast would be about $10,000. I'm wondering if I can't just build my own wooden mast with aluminum tubing for a core, bead & cove strips laminated to it and cover the whole thing with layers of cloth and epoxy for strength. But, I have no idea about what the stiffness of a mast should be, especially one that is freestanding. So, I ask, is there such a thing as too much stiffness? Is it necessarily a bad thing to have what some might view as excess rigidity in a mast?

Thanks,

Kevin

15. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Pooch, I gave up the idea when I found out the cost involved, I had no idea what I was asking about when I posted. Since then I have become a little more educated on the carbon fiber mast, but sorry to say it is still out of my range. Good luck if you do build one. I wish I had the means to do so. It is really the best way to go.