Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

pox

I use "Raka.com" mostly- they are not to far away so shipping is reasonable and their systems are very adaptable to varying climate conditions- you can see their pricing. Like most suppliers, 3 gallon+ orders get much better prices. Their web site also has some good info. I always keep some West system for their specialty apps. B

2. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

OS, Im just at the point of glueing up wood edging to frames, also making hardwood fixings for Ali tubes and crossbeam supports- 'on checking the plans' - sheet 3 - the drawings clearly show frames 4 & 5 have wood edging facing aft and frame 7 wood edging facing forward.

Have I misunderstood your post, or is this a error on the plan....?

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

John.
    Thanks for bringing that up. The position of the edging of the frames, in general, is to allow for the shamfering of the frame edges without cutting into the edges of the ply. The exceptions are frames 4 and 7, which takes account of the relationship between 4&4A and 7&7A and the compression posts of the waterstays.
    Because it is in the centre of the hulls curvature and is the widest frame, (measured at the mid stringer level), frame 5 is "neutral" In other words you shouldn't have to chamfer it at all.
    The plans are correct.
    On with the good work. :D

4. Waterat

Waterat Junior Member

John Re: the West System, I rebuild a Stb. Hull and repaired the Main hull vertually
    on the beach over the summer of 2005 with West and while it may be dear, it
    is near bullett proof when it has finally harded (It's solid in 7/8 hours but takes
    a week to fully cure.)
    Keep up the good work ans post lots of photo's, Best Regards, Johnny.

5. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Nice to here from you Johnny - I hope my pics give you some encouragement and for that matter anyone else who is undecided, I would love someone else to start a build & post pics, I believe I am the only one doing so ...

This is one of my Stainless Steel crossbeam braces (2 required) cut to length and drilled out, it now needs two right angle folds to make 'U' shape and then can be fitted to hardwood bearers with SS fixings. DSCN1802.jpg

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thank You John for your building input. It is much appreciated.
    I have shipped 32 sets of B24 plans ---but no feedback yet from whole boat builders---except you. :cool:
    Would love to hear from others as to their progress.

7. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

These are my three little helper's, they can be a real pain in the back side but keep me company building my boat, incidentally they are all great swimmers and love swimming in the sea.

Kelly (oldest) will keep a lookout on all activities and make sure we all have good fun.
    Molly (next oldest) will bring all my tools even the ones I dont wont ! - Miss goody two shoes.
    Freckles (baby) will dispose of all my wood offcuts even the good stuff - will almost eat anything ( recently spent £300 at the Vets), she was quite poorly, waited a week for a unchewed sock to appear at the other end, I now have to hide all my socks !
    100_1094.jpg

1 person likes this.
  8. diegokid

diegokid Junior Member

pics

Will send pics when started. My little helpers are Blue Heelers. Have a puppy from the last litter that was the ugly duckling runt. Wierdest thing ever, the other puppies would really torment her. The two big males would grab her legs and start shaking, they wern't playing. Took her to the vet and he couldn't find any reason for the way they did. Anyway sold all the pups and kept her with the mother and father. She has turned out to be a pretty good dog, except for chewing the insulation off of one of the outside faucets today!:mad:

9. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Im just looking at the second hand market to see what is for sale, I will need a sail rig for the B24 - the Hurricane 5.9 cats are available at knock down prices here in the UK - I beleive the sail area is a similar size at around 243sq.ft Main & Jib, but I am unsure whether the spars would be strong enough -I would appreciate any comments/ feedback.

10. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Float number 1 pics for you guys
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Hi gypsy 28
    Surprise, surprise! someone's been burning the midnight oil 'congratulations' I really thought I was the only one building the B24, I wonder if there is any more guys out there doing the same! - 'now weve discovered you' let us know how you get on with the build/other float etc, I am building my main hull first so we should have some interesting future posts & pics, and may be a bit of banter - there's no doubt you'v made OS a very happy man.
    Great to see someone esle actually 'building' a B24...:cool:

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Looki'n good Gipsy 28.

Love your Bike. :D

What ply are you using ?

13. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Hi gentlemen,

I'm using Hoop pine marine ply and meranti timber for the build and saw dust from said timbers to cover the house, lawn, cars, bike and neighbourhood (sorry guys) :p

These photos are about a couple of months old with barely any progress since then due to the bloody rain we've been having on Australia's east coast, every thing is damp and moldy :mad: but hopefully when the weather clears up (sometime next century going on current conditions) I hope to get back into the groove

What I will say is the plans / build method is very straight forward and simple, this coming from and amateur that hits his fingers with the hammer more than the nails :rolleyes: the time to get to the above photos was a mere 2 and a bit days (say 20 hours) so it would seem to be a very quick build to boat, well the floats anyway

Long live the Bucc 24

14. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

This is what B24 looks like with a Hurricane 5.9 rig, it is a out & out racing rig that might just do the job with some small mods & tweaks, providing the mast is not to lightly built & strong enough, - what attracts me to these 2nd hand boats is the price and a full wardrobe of sails that they are sold with, anyhow I will have to make some more inquiries.

Hurricane 5.9
    Main Sail 17.5m2 (188sq.ft)
    Jib 5.9m2 (63sq.ft)
    Spinnaker 21.m2 (226sq.ft)
    scan0001.jpg

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

John.
    Looks like it might fit just nicely. :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.