Buccaneer 24, Buccaneer 28 and now Buccaneer 33 plans are also now to be available.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by outside the box, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

nice!!!

2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Good Bucs!

Thanks, I really appreciated the old photos.
    Here are a couple more. One of #18, very recent and looking good :), and one of # 17, from a long time ago- also looking good :cool:
    Seems that well kept Bucs can go on for a LONG time :)
    Enjoy!
    B

Attached Files:

3. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

looks downright roomy!

barry

4. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Space

The last frontier? :p
    All three Bucs have very good deck space for their size, are easy to move around on and the cockpits are pretty comfortable and fairly well protected. The pointy ends are a little scary though when you are moving fast, and it makes sense to work out ways to stay off the foredeck as much as possible. Good roller furlers really help, and all my spinnaker gear is led aft. When I am racing my 24, we try not to go forward of the mast once we leave the dock.
    The hulls are narrow with none of the flare above the waterline that "modern" multis have, so there is less space inside than they have, but Bucs are deep, so there is good head room, the 33 has 6' thru the main cabin with room for a deep bilge. My 33's main cabin is over 9' wide, so the wing bunks are nice with good storage in the galley. The "crawl thru" forward on the 28 and 33 is quite tight and only for the lean and fit ;), the head space on the 33 is pretty roomy once you get there.
    I have "re-distributed" the space in my 33's main cabin, I will post photos once I am launched and sorted out. I gutted it down to the bare hull and by raising and re-sizing the seating, I think I have a better working and more attractive interior, with much better storage and wider bunks. (Also lighter, most everything is now foam cored :cool:)
    B

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I did the same thing on the Nicol, gutting the interior and starting with a fresh design. Daggerboard trunk went in with raised seating for more storage and a view out the windows. Now there is a 4 person settee on one side and room to go forward without making anyone stand up. The galley is on one side and a chart table/nav area on the other. It's lighter than what was there but I used meranti for the warmth. Buccs are pretty boats, the 33 is a good size for cruising.

6. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

would love to see interior pics!

Barry

7. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

and hear ya on all foam, thats one thing i go back and forth on. ply cheap and light and works, but money is totally thrown away on wood boat in US.

Barry

8. warwick

warwick Senior Member

well done out side the box and others.

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

OTB, don't want to rain on the party but shortly after I found the 28 plans I went after the 33 plans and found 3 sets, all with promises to scan and share........no joy. Seeing is believing !

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

plans

The owner that has just sold #18 has plans, in unknown condition, for the 33- probably the revised plans for a foam/glass one. I am "supposed" to get a copy/originals, once the transaction is done. We will see ;). If I get them, I will make sure they are available!!
    Cav, yes, I did the same thing. I raised the settee, which opens up a lot of space, while leaving storage under the seats. I found enough room under the floor to install a 25 gallon flexible tank, while adding some storage under the seats. I am trying to keep mine extra light, so it might not see any water in the tank soon, but it is there if I want to use it in the future. I have used meranti veneer and ply on the seats and sole and a light blond wood on the vertical bulkheads. It makes a very warm and light interior. I still need to paint and insulate the cabin overhead, but probably after I get in the water.
    The 33 is a nice sized boat, someone in mine's past history used it for extended cruising, and I can certainly see going for a couple of weeks at a time on it.
    B

11. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Sure sounds nice Bruce. The Vagabond is plump enough to load for over a month which we do, I'll take and post some pictures on the Nicol thread. We use plastic bottles for water like Piver, stowed in the bins. When empty they are flotation, no plumbing weight in hoses. We are usually off the grid so packing empties ashore to fill makes sense in the world without docks. Still have details to finish but the main cabin and stern quarter cabin are basically there. That leaves the bow cabin makeover and stern head to redo next year. This year has been spent on land work which is no where near as fun.

Still happy to waste money on wood Marmoset, nothing else does it for me but I'm pretty far from the USA mainstream in everything. The price hasn't been much at all but I don't publish because nobody believes me.

12. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Reuben
    While we appreciate every ones frustration restoring plan sets is by far the least favourable thing for our business to be undertaking mostly pro bono.
    Should someone else feel they can do a better job we are more than happy to hand the batten on as Old Sailor OS7 did with us with the Buccaneer 24' plans etc We also agree with your statement "Seeing is believing !".
    Like you and BB we have had many sets turn up with the promise of co-operation for the greater good and to that end below is a string of our correspondence regarding the most promising lead of late.
    We have been following this one for quite some time and to date the lead has gone cold, We are unsure if people have some fanciful idea that money is made in restoring old plans hence the leads go cold, we can assure you at $50.00US plus per hour our staff can do far better things for the Company than restoring old plan sets! Staff have been taking them home from time to time as a job in their spare time to try to get them done, no one has that sort of spare time endlessly no matter how generous they are and at some point even Toby the owner of Ezifold Yachts LTD will say enough is enough)
    Latest lead feed attached perhaps someone else can do better
    Regards as always
    Brooke and Team Ezifold :)

Sent 11 January 2015 - 04:31 AM
    Ezifold, on 11 Jan 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Hi there
    We are redesigning a Buccaneer 24 and supply the original 24 plans plus have staff working on restoring the Buccaneer 28 plans.
    It is our intention to try and put the Buccaneer 33 and 40 plans back into circulation also.
    To that end would you possibly be interested in selling us a copy (all at our expense) of your plans for our staff to restore like is happening with the Buccaneer 28 plans.
    If not we respect your decision and wish you well with your sailing.
    Kind regards
    Team Ezifold

Hi Team Ezifold,
    I would be happy to help you out. I have some large format plans, but I have no idea if it is a complete set. Where are you?

Thanks,

Sent 11 January 2015 - 11:14 PM
    Hi.
    That would be great no matter if the plan set is incomplete as our team can always redraft missing detail if there are enough sheets in your set to extract information from. We are based in Christchurch New Zealand.
    Simplest way it to have a quality print shop run a copy and send in a plan roll.
    We will pay all costs e.g. your time, travel, printing, freight and however much you wish to charge for the plans.
    Kind regards
    Team Ezifold

Sent 21 January 2015 - 06:26 AM
    Ezifold, on 12 Jan 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:
    Hi
    That would be great no matter if the plan set is incomplete as our team can always redraft missing detail if there are enough sheets in y
    our set to extract information from. We are based in Christchurch New Zealand.
    Simplest way it to have a quality print shop run a copy and send in a plan roll.
    We will pay all costs e.g. your time, travel, printing, freight and however much you wish to charge for the plans.
    Kind regards
    Team Ezifold

Team Ezifold,
    Sorry I have been traveling quite a bit for work and didn't see this message. I'll try to find out where to get copies made and find out the cost. I'll get back to you soon, but keep in contact and make sure I don't forget.

Thanks,

Sent 13 April 2015 - 07:36 AM
    Hi
    How are you fixed for giving us a price to have the plans copied?
    Hope all is progressing well for you.
    Kind regards
    Team Ezifold

Sent 06 June 2015 - 12:04 AM
    Hi
    Just touching base again to see if you are still able to give us a price to have the plans copied?
    If for any reason this is no longer an option we understand and accept this could be too much of a hassle.
    It would be appreciated if you could let us know either way so we can progress the search if your set are no longer available to copy.
    Hope all is progressing well for you.
    Team Ezifold

13. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Plans

I have the original plans for my 24, and while useful, they are in no condition to copy or build a boat from- way too old and fragile. I bought a good set from OS, made more copies, and used those for rebuilding my 24, and I considered them worth every penny I spent. The time saved even redrawing one bulkhead is worth it.
    The old plans were reproduced on very thin paper and the common practice was to use a star wheel to transfer the patterns to the building material. The very fragile paper then ends up perforated on the lines, and can hardly be handled with out tearing them, and the lines show up fuzzy if you try to reproduce them.
    I would expect the 33 plans, if I get them, to be in about the same condition, so- if and when I actually have them in hand ;), I plan to send them to Ezifold and let the professionals sort them out. I think they certainly deserve a return for the time they spend on them :)
    B

14. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Ezifold team;
    Calm the farm guys, the last thing I was doing was complaining or having a go. I fully realise the amount of free time you are giving to this.
    I was just making the point that since you had announced the 33 plans that getting finding them is the easy part, getting people to actually get them to you is not so easy, as I said I went through it 3 times ! Best Wishes RR

15. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Crowther 33 mobile crane

;) and a couple of other 33 pics. Mine is coming back together :cool:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.