1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

23" sailboat hull and deck -cheap

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by bruceb, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

I have a 23' sailboat hull and deck available- cheap or free mirage 236- new, never completed in Atlanta, Ga. I need the space. Bruce

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

mirage 236 pics

I also have many of the parts to complete the boat. Bruce

Attached Files:

3. lporcano

lporcano New Member

What kind of shape is the hull in? Is this a fixed keel or retracting keep version? Are there any bulkeads in place?

4. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

236 details

The hull is not damaged although there is some surface crazing. The transom is cut out of it but I do have it. The hull and deck are joined, glued, and some bolts but not yet glassed. There are no bulkheads. I have some bracing in the boat to keep the shape. This is the original 236 hull that the mold was pulled off of, (the boat is a shortened Kelly 24) and the deck was a custom light weight that I had built at the factory. Only the companion way has been cut. It could be completed as a board boat, lift keel or fixed keel, there is no difference in the hulls. I had a lift keel version and raced it extensively and I can give you lots of "advice" if you decide to finish the boat. It is on a trailer that also needs some work that is included. I don't have a keel as I was planing on building a lifting bulb keel, but I do have rudders, masts, rigging and many other parts to complete it. They are not free:) , but I will make you a real deal on any thing you want. I used to be a boat dealer in Atlanta and I have many parts. The 236 was a really good design that was compromised by the MORC rule and the builder's market limitations. It could be finished as a competitive racer, roomy trailerable or as I did with mine, both. Bruce

5. Pomel

Pomel New Member

Hi Bruce,

I just bought a Mirage 236 and I am restoring it. Do you still have rudders, masts, rigging and many other parts for this boat?
    I am interested in speaking to you about parts. And maybe some knowledge you may have about these boats.

6. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Pomel, This hull was the original plug for the 236 and the deck was a custom light weight and was pulled from the 236 deck mold. I sold my own 236 a long time ago but I had started accumulating some parts for the custom light weight I had planed on building, however I have sold some of the pieces and I was not planing on making it at all stock. I have recently planed on cutting up the hull since no one has shown any interest. Its yours for the asking if you were interested, but it is in Atlanta Ga. I spent a lot of time at the factory back then and I do know quite a lot about the 5.5 and 236 that I am happy to share.
    What are your intentions with your 236? I can better determine what I have that you might want to use.
    Bruce

8. Pomel

Pomel New Member

Hi Bruce,
    I have a 1982 Mirage 236 I recently bought in Texas. I am currently attempting to replace the bulkheads as the chain plates have been leaking for quite some time. I think they only made 250 of these Mirage 236's and it wouldn't hurt to have some spare/extra parts that fit it. I have not pulled my boat out of the water yet and I'm concerned that the rudder may not be in great shape. I can pull it up and down about 4 to 6 inches and it looks like it may be missing some parts between the hull and rudder.

I honestly don't know if I would ever make use of your hull. But, if I was making the trip for other parts I could bring it back to Texas and find a place at my club to park it. Maybe someone would be interested in a project building it up. My guess is that even if I gut my interior replacing the bulkheads that it would still be quicker and more affordable to fix up the boat I have than to try and swap my parts to your hull. I don't have any experience in using fiberglass or doing boat work.

So, the biggest thing I would be interested in is the Rudder and any parts to attach it. That is if it's a Mirage 236 rudder. I have removed my Mast and if you have the standing rigging I really should be replacing that on mine. I believe it's still the original from 1982.

If nothing else it would be nice to chat with you about the 236 and Mirage. Perhaps you have some insight into the best way to restore my current boat. It seems to be a really neat boat and I'm looking forward to giving all the J/24's a run for their money at my Wednesday night club races.

I will try to send you a direct message with my contract information and if you have time maybe we can chat on the phone.

Thanks for the reply,
    Pomel

9. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Pomel, I don't have the parts, I never built the boat but I do have parts and information that will help you- probably a lot.
    My boat partner and I gutted the interior and rebuilt our 236 when it was less than 3 years old so I know what you are doing.
    We raced against many J-24s, they were the "hot" boat back then. We did well against then, particularly in lighter air and since we have a lot of light conditions here, we often won even though we were given a 165 phrf rating back then. You should be fine. I would strongly suggest adding a pole and converting to a asym chute, it will do wonders for the 236.
    Email me or call, I will try to help you all I can, I know the 236s very well and I am pretty good working with fiberglass and epoxy.
    Bruce
    404-915-1141
    brbarton@bellsouth.net

10. Pomel

Pomel New Member

Hi Bruce,

That sounds great! I will send you an email and we can go from there. Thanks for offering to help I can sure use any advice I can get. And it sounds like you are just the right guy!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.