Broken Boom

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Oct 17, 2009.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Sounds like he understands well enough the source of his difficulties.
    Himself:

"She is a sailor too - but I think a better one than me,' he said. "

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think the famous Fastnet race about 30 years ago was one of the best examples of this kind of behaviour. Boats were abandoned because they broke the rudder. The crew drowned in a liferaft and the boat was found floating alone.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Gonzo has it. People have to be honest with themselves, which very rarely they are. Most don't react with calm determination, which is precisely what you need in these situations. If you can't focus on the issues that face you for emotional or other reasons, you're screwed.

Training can help, but reality is a much better teacher. Some folks just suckled too long or something and can't cope. These are the ones that stand up and run madly into withering gun fire at the first signs of battle. Boot camp tries to weed these out, but inexorability some manage to fool their way past the DI's and get blown up, in spite of their training. Think of it as nature's way of weeding out the gene pool . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.