broke shaft, loose motor mounts, loose rudder.....

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by scotttanner, May 22, 2006.

1. scotttanner

scotttanner Junior Member

I pulled the boat today:

1. I removed the flange, zinc, propeller and pulled the shaft. The key way at the transmission end showed signs of wear. The key was bent slightly to one side. This could have been when the shaft spun and broke.

2. noticed some mis-alignment through the strut (not up and down but left to right). I looked at the gaps.

3. From what I have been reading......with a one inch shaft it should only stick pass the strut 1/2"......It is sticking passed 2.5".

4. one bolt is missing from the motor mount. Several lag bolts, that hold the motor mounts were loose. when I tried tightening, they seemed to strip.

5. where the rudder shaft comes through the bottom of the hull, The outer shaft has play and the caulk is loose. I must have some leaks.

6. Where the strut is bolted through the hull, water was dripping, well after the boat was pulled from the water. It must be leaking as well.

My plan, And I NEED INPUT, PLEASE.

1. I am getting a new shaft made tomorrow..... Aquamet 22

2. will check transmission end play. ????????what do I need to replace if there is play?

3. motor mount plan.........I think I should remove the lag screws, twist the mounts to the side, drill out the old holes, glue in a wooden dowel, drill pilot hole, use new and longer lags for the motor mounts, replace missing motor mount nut. ??????? Am I doing the right thing?

4. replace the strut bearing.

5. ?????? Not sure what to do about the strut...... I think I need to pull my gas tanks, remove the strut, clean, seal and remount...

6. ??????? rudders ....... I should also remove the rudders, clean, seal and remount

Any tips would help.......

thanks Rob

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

It sounds as though your motor may have been moving around based on what you're saying about strut bearing wear and motor mount looseness, Or at least little or no maintainence performed. Repace any dry rotted wood.
    I would NOT use lag bolts to secure the motor, but thru BOLTS w.LOCK NUTS,after making sure motor is aligned properly after new strut bearings and new keys are installed in the drive shaft hub. If your drive hub is bolted to the trans drive, make sure there is no more than .003 in. clearance between, at any point around the circumference when the hub is touching the trans drive.
    Everything, including the Strut and Rudder support/Bearing must be tight and secure.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.