Bristol Channel Cutter with a cute Butt

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kudu, Sep 23, 2005.

1. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

2. kudu

kudu Senior Member

She's a fine looking boat! If only she was a 28 to 30 footer. Thanks

3. kudu

kudu Senior Member

I firmly agree...She's sweet! Are there any able designers within boatdesign.net who could stretch her to 28-30 feet?

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Bristol Chanel Cutter with cute butt

Paulo - for a 'foreigner' :D you have immaculate taste...
    Don't tell them - but I'd swap my wife and two daughters to own a lady like that ;)

5. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

He has some others that are not on his site. The plans for a 30 footer that Wooden boat sells that is just a heart breaker. An ex employee of mine had him do a custom design for him...sweeet. He seems fair about his prices too. He doesn't do a bad double ender either

6. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

7. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

8. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

9. SailDesign

DGreenwood - why not just admit it , you've been in love with the Tumlaren since you first saw one in 1963....

10. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Of course we must not forget Knud....hey...how did you know how old I am? ;?)

11. SailDesign

Just a guess, DGreenwood, just a guess. Based on your suggestiuons above, but basically a guess.
    I mention Tumlarens simpkly because I fell in love with them at first sight in 1963 (I was 8 at the time)
    Steve

12. kudu

kudu Senior Member

I got some feedback from a boat designer regarding this thread. When I asked him if he could draw plans for a 28 - 30 foot double ended Bristol Channel Cutter, he informed me that a double ender at that length would not perform as well as a transom stern. I would like to ask here...Does anyone know the hows and whys of what this designer speaks of ? I know nothing of hull design but to me it all seams relative. If a double ender is good for say a 38' or 48' sailboat and all things being equal, why not a 28 or 30' ? Please unconfuse me :confused:

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My first thought is that he may not know how to design 'double enders....'
    But of course I may be wrong... ;)

14. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"he informed me that a double ender at that length would not perform as well as a transom stern. "

As a boat goes faster it begins to climb her bow wave .

The transom stern helps hold the stern up by having more displacement than the canoe stern.

Therefore the canoe sterns sink furthur in the water at top speed , dragging a biger stern wave , loosing energy , limiting top speed.

Unless your in a whole gale and have unlimited energy , when the stern will go down a couple of feet and drag a big hunk of ocean with it.

Any boat , with a short amount of overhang will begin to drag big water when run at "over" hull speed.

On our 33ft Motor Sailor this can be used to great advantage.

A 3 cyl antique Volvio MD 3b is rated at 15 hp when used as a one cylinder, 25 hp when built as a 2 cyl and downrated to 35hp in the 3 cylinder config.

AS the boat has a "cruising prop" intentionally oversized to reduce cruise rpm she can absorb a bunch of power.

After all day on the waterway , being passed by marine motorists with NO concept of hoe to pass safely and quickly we can have FUN.

The motorists usually tie up early , so we simply go full throttle dumping 45hp into the stern wave. The Maurice Griffiths design has a big transom but short overhang and when severly overpowered for a min or two will go down 18 inches.

This creates a delightfull stern wave for the motorists tied alongside a dock.

Of course they cant believe a small sail boat made such a wave , whemn they scream on the radio , we just tell 'em it was a M motorist they didnt notice.

Getting even is half the fun!

FAST FRED

FAST FRED

15. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Thanks for the input FastFred...Is it possible to design a double ended stern that IS radically more efficent ? Or, are all double enders created equal?
    Also, how much of a loss of forward momentum are we talking about, two or more knots?
    I need to back up...What if a canoe stern was designed instead of a double ender, then what? Does the additional width of the stern negate the issue you speak of, or is it the same difference? kudu

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.