Boxy Fisher Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, Mar 11, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

I think he said a "space ship" - er - boat... ? earlier on... Whatever, I am intrigued and will be watching :D:D:D:p

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It will be interesting to learn what the "atlas rocket" will be used for.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

It's the axle for the jig.
    It has to be that diameter so it won't bend under the weight of the rest of the stuff, including the glass.
    It was calculated to sag about 6 to 8mm in the center with a 1600kg load.

5. hoytedow

Thanks, Fanie. Keep taking pictures.

6. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

will the wrap-around method be as strong as conventional hand layup? I'm thinking of fibre length and direction. does it make any difference?

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Richard, the wrap around is a LOT faster, the resin to glass ratio is close to best at around 1 resin to 2 glass, and I can even control that. There is no comparasson between hand layup and this. If I make a layup, it's solid glass. I'm having the reels of glass woven at 300mm wide, so the shortest strands are 300mm and they overlap by 200mm.

The test pieces I did came out champion. Keep in mind it is only glass and resin. There is no chop strand or other materials added to make up thickness etc. and the strands are x/y. If there's a bit more give in any direction I can't feel it. One aspect I like very much is that the hull and the deck is one solid integrated piece, no more joints.

3 to 4 people would be able to make a hull in a day, but keep in mind the jig assembly would probably take a day, and to strip out of the hull again another, and you will probably have to wait a few days for the glass to cure,
    So one is looking at around a week per hull minimum.

The bulkheads would be made the same way and I'm not glassing them in place. I'm going to glue them in with one of these Dow Corning products. Have two 90 deg pieces 80mm wide and two guys weighing 100kg's each stand one either side of it and it doesn't tear loose. It's the same stuff they glue the bridges together with. Same goes for any other supports, steps etc, and also the PE foam will be glued into place.

8. hoytedow

If you can take pictures when the glass is going on or coming off the jig. Thanks in advance.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Hoyt,

I've already posted pics when the glass goes on the beams. A mast, bulkheads and the hull is going to be the same, only the jigs vary.

10. hoytedow

OK. I'll go back and look again. I remember the rectangular glassed tubes. They were awesome.

11. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Fanie, I'm sure you are going to have strong boat. But is there a weight penalty that you will incur compared to the more typical GRP layups that incorporate CSM and often coremat as well?

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Brian, I really hope not :D
    What I am going to do do away with is the thick hull with csm and other fillers that cause probably more weight due to them being resin filled. There are better ways to stiffen a hull or large panels.

13. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

Is it still going to be the after-mast configuration? are you going to overbuild the mast or are you dead accurate with the calculations? Man, you're really building this thing....every bit:D even the electronics. I'm impressed.

I think the hulls will be worthy of more than just a few snapshots. Fanie, could we convince you to set up a camcorder when the hulls are rotating? Would love to see it on youtube.

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Richard,

All is not as exciting as you think. Time is a problem and no one to help around here, I have to 'hire' a friend and his workers to do some of the things I cannot do alone.

I'm defenately going to use the aft mast, and I will make the mast myself. The sail I will have made by a sail maker. The mast will work roughly the same as the little tri's mast, except since this mast is a bit larger I will add a gin pole to winch it up. I'm designing everything so one but preferably 2 persons can do everything.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.