bottom paint question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by stilloutoffocus, May 4, 2009.

1. stilloutoffocus

stilloutoffocus dealership repair flunkie

im getting ready to do a bottom paint job on a 24' deck boat and was wondering what kind of bottom paints everyone here would suggest. there is talk about doing a 2 stage paint set up with the epoxy primer but ive never done that before. does anyone know the advantages of this epoxy primer? is it worth the money and time? ive done single layer (3 coat) bottom jobs before with interlux, petit, and bottom cote, and ive recently looked up alot of info about e-paint and blue water. i was just fishing for some first hand knowledge about how these last. this guy wants to put his boat in the water and not have to worry about paint again for several years. our lakes around here are surrounded by farms so algae and zebra mussels are prolific.
    thanks for your time and advice guys.

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Yes, to epoxy primer if your going to leave boat in water...
    Advantage, it will prevent water getting into fiberglass and causing osmotic blisters. Tell us more about your usage of boat...

3. stilloutoffocus

its not actually my boat it is a customer's he was just looking for the best possible bottom system he could find. he actually showed up with a gallon of interlux micron extra. which i heard was really good. i assume he is going to keep it in the water if he is putting bottom paint on it. probably the ohio river, KY lake or one of the other impound lakes here in the heavily farmed mid west. from what i have seen we get loads of algae and slime from all the farm runoff into our waterways. the research i have done points to the micron extra or petit trinidad. and i am certainly pushing for an epoxy primer coat.
    also it is a (i think) about a 24' deck boat so i really doubt that one gallon will cover it well. i have always used more than that to coat even smaller LOA performance bottoms.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Use epoxy resin mixed with copper dust, saturate, and roll on as normal. You want to achieve 300 micron.

Once this mess has gone off, the bottom can be gently caressed with a dishwashing grade Scotchbrite for many years to come, and she will be untouched by the wobblygongs.

The stippled pattern created doing this is ideal for the bottom, do not sand it smooth, waste of time and money.

I first did this in 1985, it is time proven to be very effective. Stir continuously doing the job.

5. stilloutoffocus

wow what a great idea.
    i assume you mean 300 microns of copper per in.sq.?
    my man may be very interested in this as he is a big epoxy head himself.
    do you suggest multiple coats of this mixture?
    should the epoxy be mixed differently to allow more work time?
    of course i assume you would scuff the boat bottom with 80 grit as normal?
    thanks so much for your insight landlubber.

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

No 300 microns of paint thickness