boats that are designed with car aerodynamic method?

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by dina, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

After an initial intellectual property dust-up it's my understanding that Berg and Harley came together to design a ferry built by Gary Carlin's Kiwi Boats in Tampa Florida. There was a Professional BoatBuilder Magazine article on it. Island Rocket II might be that boat, but maybe not. I though the boat was destined for a Florida route, Palm Beach to Key West or something like that. I'd like to see follow-up to the Professional BoatBuilder article.

Apparently they went on to build this aluminum boat at Austal USA (owned by Austal of Perth). I don't have any idea how transport efficiency numbers stack up. Perhaps the program that funded it is related to the one that built the M80 Stiletto ...?

Have you been working on Aussie fast ferries?

2. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Not even close. Just like every other attempt before and even a couple that came afterward. Even ONR got sucked in to the :air cavity hull" morass.

3. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

"Purrseaverance" was laid up for sale for a very long time after it failed to perform. Not sure what ever happened to it. Island Rocket was an earlier incarnation of Berg's designs, "pre-Harley" though, and has been up for sale, cheap, for about...ever. The ONR version you linked to disappeared from sight fairly quietly. And of course, preceding all the above failures were the original "Air Ride" ferries that were intended to go in service in New York City. Those were built by Avondale Boat division.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Thanks, Bill. Hope your patch of the USA has started to dry out.

Several years ago, I did some calculations of a "twin SES" i.e. two SES
    in a catamaran arrangement, but I couldn't see any great advantages. For a
    start, the skin-friction is almost double.
    Also, I thought that there might be difficulties in maintaining the air cavity.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I know one fast ferry operator not too far from me got sucked into the idea of using "air bubbles" by one company. Suffice to say after several months of....hang on...one more trail...we're almost there...it was shelved :eek:

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Racing these things is trim trim trim you cant go into a corner without trimming and then hit the out button after.

No trim no race. Im well aware of what they are. A friend of mine had a twin cat. 100MPH was a sunday afternoon cruise.

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Frosty this is for you !! i know you will understand when you finished reading it !!
    Just goes to show you know nothing about tunnels!! the driver hardly touchs the trim buttons now adays its the foot throttle they use !! power on it flys ,lift the power off anlittle it drops its *** and little more off and the bow comes down and round the corner you go then on with the power and its flying again all in a second so vertually no drop in speed !!!

In one of my posts some where i asked what rocker is used for and where should the lowest point be along the keel!! never got any answer at all from any one no one even took a guess . induced rocker is normally located just forward of half way or there about (its a personal choice ) on some boats !! why you ask !!, so when you trim up the bow lifts and so does a good portion of the front of the hull bottom reducing wetted area very quickly then when you go into a corner and turn the out board has a tendancy to lift the back up so it will slide sideways and forces the front to dig slightly and the hull will turn quickly and positively and when the wheel is straighened again the boat goes back to nose up and tail down !! all done without touching the trim or the throttle . Believe me it take a good trained eye and lots of time to get a hull to that stage .and like i said its a personal thing to set up
    So all them NA's do you know how to do calculations to do all those things ?? is it written in those books you read what about in a revise suppliment??
    Ok What about hook ?? what does hook do ?? is it a good or bad thing to have ?? and if you do have it where would you place it ??
    this is a really easy one !! Have a guess but think before you do answer !! what does hook actually do ?? used properly it can give you an edge !:confused:easer to draw it on paper to see what it does and how it can be used !!

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If I had a hook I would hold it in my right hand then pull my sleeve down over my hand then say Or arrrrghhhe it be pirate day be it?

I dont agree!

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

they use trim quite a bit hence they all have 24v hooked up to the 12v pumps to make them faster

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Dont forget the parrot !!

Hook can help get some boat out of a hole and up on the plane in super quick time and once airborne and almost flying it also helps hold the boat up with the air cushion under the hull and just the very back touching the water ?? visit scream and fly they been on about it for years some new boat have this built in when you buy them !!.
    me i prefer rocker !! work it in combination with wide strakes that lift and hold its much more stable and no chine walking . What it chine walking ?? whats some of the causes ?? Are they dangerous??
    No its nothing like walking the dog !!!:D

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Chine walking --- like a tank slapper. You wont know what that is,---no its not a lady of the night on your motorbike.

12. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

No thats a "slinky pillion *****":D !!!

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im a little shocked that you might think I do not know what chine walking is but its something magical a boat can do that gives you an adrenelin shot and throws your sandwiches out. Sometimes the fuel talk goes with it.

Its a way of telling you that you have reached a certain point in trim that a wise person would not go past --- ever again.

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

lots of reason for chine walking other than trim

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

tells us a lot !so what are some of them ?? :confused: