Boat Worth Restoring? Advice Needed!!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by AlvinM, Aug 10, 2016.

1. AlvinM

AlvinM New Member

I'm new to this and have no experience in boating. My father owns a fiberglass boat that is now 20+ years old and has not been used for the last 15 years or so.

I am considering outsourcing the restoration of this boat but am wondering if it is even worth it in the first place. The outboard motors will need to be replaced entirely and based on discussions with the 2 parties that I have talked to with regards to restoration, they said most of the repair work on the body will just be cosmetic as the fiberglass / structure is still in good condition.

I am afraid they they might just be saying this in order for me to engage their services in this boat restoration. Their estimated timeline is about 2-3 months. I am located in Indonesia and labour here is relatively cheap (in case this is a factor to consider).

I am also considering modifying the bow to a bow rider instead of having a covered cabin (which is rarely used).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Unless you have a strong emotional attachment to the boat, or need an expensive hobby, run away from it. However, if you go ahead with the project, the first thing to do is to take all the rotted plywood out. That means you will have an empty hull. A good cradle is needed to keep the boat from deforming as you rebuild it.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

My answer, no. It will cost far more than the boat is worth, even in Indonesia. So if you rebuild it with the thought of some day selling it you will never get back the money you have put into it. You can probably find a good used boat that is in operating condition for far less than this would cost.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Picking a boat for restoration is a difficult thing for professionals. Nearly impossible for a novice, particularly if they have to have the work done by someone else. From the looks of it, that boat is well past a reasonable overhaul. It doesn't have much value and would make a lousy bow rider if converted.

Given the huge glut on the market, full of used boats that just need some minor cosmetic and mechanical repair, you'd be best advised to grind that boat up and drag the pieces to the local dump.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The engine set-up is intriguing. A large outboard, a mid-size one as a spare !

6. AlvinM

AlvinM New Member

Update 1

Hi gonzo, Ike and PAR,

Thanks so much for your replies. Took your advice into consideration and headed to local marina in Jakarta to see if there were any used boats on sale today. At the particular marina I went to, most of the boats were all local reproductions of other models and I did not manage to find anything that I found particularly well built / ideal to what i'm looking for.

However, there were some guys around the marina who i talked to to explain my current situation. Upon showing them pictures of the boat I have, a couple of them (as expected) told me that they could do a restoration of the boat I have on hand. In fact, some of the boats at the marina were produced by the same company that built my dads boat 20 years ago.

1 guy in particular was rather interesting as he had recently done a full restoration of the exact boat I have. He knew the exact model of boat and the year it was built. I would like to share some pictures here of the restored boat to see if you guys have any additional comments. (I wanted to add more pictures but I have no more upload space)

Based on all the guys I talked too, I estimate that a restoration of the boat would cost around USD 10K - 15K excluding replacement motors. This means that I should be prepared to pay around USD 50K for a full replacement including motors. I am not sure what used boats I could get for around that price.

BTW Mr Efficiency, the existing motors on the boat are twin 200Hp mercury outboards so they are the same size :)

Attached Files:

7. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

In the US you could buy a brand new 20ish foot bowrider for less than $50.000. I don't see a refit as justified.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.