Boat prices in Australia taking a tumble

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sabahcat, Feb 5, 2012.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is more a product of the currency exchange rate than deal seekers. It swings back and forth as every Canadian knows and takes advantage of.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Currency rates shouldn't affect the underlying value of a boat, right?

I know when I see boats in the American vs European market, the boat will usually be listed either in Euros or Dollars, but the actual value will remain constant.

I've never seen someone say, "this boat is $100K and 100K Euros."

Normally there is an adjustment in the price for the different currencies, keeping the value of the boat constant.

Were the Aussies not doing this? I know their marine hardware and such (Defender and West Marine type products) are outrageously priced too.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Even the big boys are on their knees. Last week we shifted a 29 meter motoryacht with ropes and workboats because the yacht...a 6 million dollar unit... was locked and crime scene taped for unpaid bills. It was easier to muscle the yacht rather than contract a captain , engineer thru the port authority . Now is a very good time to purchase a brokerage boat. As was stated...shoot for 50 percent of asking price. At present, Nearly every yacht on the hard has some kinda financial problem.

The yachts under greatest stress are charter yachts whose owners expected charter to subsidize yacht ownership. The yachts looking good with bright topsides are the new, stylish, look fast, modestly powered 15 meter motoryachts.

It would be interesting to hear from any Boat Design net member who attended the Dusseldorf Boat show last week. T

4. CatBuilder

This is very accurate. The charter market will not rebound for a couple years still.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Too many boats chasing the same clients. Clients naturally choose the newest edgiest boat on the market. Also the summer season has become compressed into 8 weeks.

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I think Aus has high import taxes.

What someone is willing to pay at the location it sits is the value.
    Moving it,and taking advantage of local values and currency differences is called arbitrage.

I did very well shipping cars to the US when the rate was 1.3 to 1.6 US/CAN.
    For example,buy a car here for $50k C...send it to the US and sell it for $50k US..bring the money back and get 1.6x $50k = $78kCan. less costs.
    Repeat as often as possible.

Many guys were shipping boats,tractors,motorcycles etc etc down to the US and making a killing.

Then in 2006 when the collapse was starting heavy,US car market was flooded so the values crashed and $ was at par.Could buy a car for $40k in the US and sell it for $50k here,as the market was still good.

7. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

There may be something in that
    You can see it with cars here

2011 Camaro in Oz is $135,000 +
    http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars...1&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=20&__sid=134D763A4F4C

Compared to the same in the US for $29,000
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2011-Chevrolet-Camaro-c22196#listing=30713839

But then we were sending you our Australian built Holden Monaro's (Pontiac GTO's) and you were getting them for about a third of the price that we were buying them here.

As for High import tax, I also believe its the high greed of Oz resellers
    Case in point are the Cummins B3.3's I bought here which cost about $20,000 each.
    Those same engines cost me half that in the US and approx $1000 in freight to have landed here.

8. groper

groper Senior Member

we dont have high import taxes... goods imported from the USA are tax free... GST excluded, but we pay that on domestic goods also... ozzie resellers ARE GREEDY... then they complain and cry poor when we circumvent them and import our own stuff from overseas... free market baby, and its global...

9. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

The Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA)

Duties on more than 97 per cent of US non-agricultural tariff lines became duty free from day one (Jan 1 2005) of the Agreement, with all trade in goods free of duty by 2015

http://www.dfat.gov.au/fta/ausfta/index.html

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Sabah..I dunno the price for RHD conversaion but I'm wondering if the Camaro has a similar platform and dash as the Monaro to make it easier?

But still,$135k for a Camaro is nuts.With supply vs. demand., $135k is cheap to have the only one in your state compared to a Lambo/Ferrari if that's what floats your boat.

I always liked the AUS cars...big V8's or turbo big sixes into into midsize sedans,SUVs or Utes. Was there a few years ago also and drove the Ford 4.0 turbo six with 350 hp.

We should be bringing more of that stuff up here....

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Damn those are some great looking boats but I'm still a bit gun shy of taking a loan. Still in the 1/2 mill range and still half a world away. I'll give em great bargain status though. And great taste in craft Cat, every one of those looked great.

Par, yup offer half and see what you get, I'm looking for some cabin land in Park county, something I can hang on when Im up there fishing and damn are prices low. 7k gets a nice lot with RV hookups and some trees, maybe 2 or 3 acres with a road. Ill keep looking till I've seen em all and then I'l start making offers. Owner finance 0% interest payed over the next 2 years and I'll probably offer 25% low and see what happens. I've always wanted a fishing shack up there, and I can always move it over to Frazier valley for ski season.

12. groper

groper Senior Member

Yeah i had an XR6 turbo ute, a few small mods and it made 550hp @ wheels with 1100+Nm torque... then drive down the hwy @ 9L/100km... waiting for someone to maranize the engine and put it in a speed boat...:idea:

Attached Files:

13. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Well I did make a tidy profit with the last one and in the past there have been many here in Oz that have paid themselves a better yearly wage building themselves compared to working a normal job for the man.

But that all changed since the GFC, which is when I put a halt to my build, didn't want to overcapitalise at the worst possible time and it costs me nothing to have it sitting, buying bits for cash as prices come down and opportunities to buy from OS appear.

I never started this one with real profit in mind, it was always to be a long term liveaboard for myself, but now its becoming increasingly obvious that it'll be going in the water bare bones and going OS for finishing as labour costs for help here are at ridiculous levels.

14. CatBuilder

That's interesting. I took the exact contrarian approach to yours.

We decide *because of the GFC* that it was the best time to build a new boat to put into charter service.

One thing I learned somewhere, not coming from a rich family myself, was that rich people always double down in a recession. They spend as much money as they can. I decided to try it too and we put everything we had (plus several years of wages my wife is earning right now during the build) into it.

15. groper

groper Senior Member

Good move, spend as much as possible... then you invested wisely in the coming inflation bubble... prices may be down for now, but in a few years a bloody beach cat will be over $50k...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.