boat plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by georgiahemi, May 25, 2006.

1. georgiahemi

georgiahemi Junior Member

I am looking to get into building boats and this one really got my interest:

http://glen-l.com/designs/outboard/tnt.html

Does anybody have any tips or suggestions for me? Or if possible, does anybody have any plans kind of like this that they would be willing to share?

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Georgiahemi;
    Tip #1; Buy the Glen-L plans. The cost of the plans will be saved several times over. Glen -L has worked out the details for you, they have been in business for a very long time. They know what they are doing.

Tip #2; You began by saying that you wanted to get into boat building. If you are thinking about building boats for profit, do yourself a huge favor and FORGET IT. There is a tired old expression used by people in the boat building community: "If you want to make a small fortune building boats, you must start with a large fortune".

Tip#3; If you really like the boat you mentioned, get the plans, build it for fun. Better yet, If Glen-L has a kit for this boat, get the kit and have at it. It will be well worth the price. You won't know that to be true until you build one from scratch and have to find and buy all the special materials that'll be needed.

3. bluethunder12

bluethunder12 Junior Member

I was in the industry for over 19 years so na wanting to be a boat builder not a good plan but if you want to build a boat and not really go through the cost find you a good old pull out of the hole boat, i found a old 73 orlando clipper rotted out floor transome whole boat was trash with in 6 months turned that ugly boat into a very beautiful boat pd $100 by the time i paid for my glass resin gelcoat wood i ended up with about $1200 in the boat not including the motor alot of my materials were bought from the locale manufacture in Tn javelin/Stratos , so i was able to keep cost down and thank god for e-bay anyways good luck on your venture and as always make sure this is what you want and have fun doing it thats what matters

4. georgiahemi

georgiahemi Junior Member

molds

Thanks guys. I actually was thinking about building and selling. I just love boats. I will probably build one, use it for a year or so, then sell it and start a new one. Not like I am going to start a business. Thanks for all your help.

Rick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.