Boat painting (custom color)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by thefuture, Mar 27, 2007.

1. thefuture

thefuture Junior Member

I am about to paint my boat. I have in the past painted two boats with a petit product that i rolled and tiped. With a lot of prep work and sanding i really like how this turned out. This boat on the other hand is a bit bigger and i am hoping for great results. I have a person who is excellent with a spray gun and will most likely require his assistants. My questions are first, I want the boat to be a specific color. What kinds of paints can i use that i could have custom mixed to my specific color. Second question is one in the same. I had a person who claimed to have painted boats before tell me that with alot of cars being fiberglass these days that there is no reason not to use automotive paint. they can obviously handle some flexing and being out in the sun alot. Does anyone have anymore recomendations?

2. thefuture

thefuture Junior Member

Has anyone used car paint with success? Where should i look to find my answer?

3. wbauer

wbauer Junior Member

4. thefuture

thefuture Junior Member

I am looking for a color not in there color swatch though. Do they custom mix colors?

5. wbauer

wbauer Junior Member

Kirby paints

I believe they do mix custom colors. Give them a call, chances are very good you'll end up talking to George Kirby.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.