Boat Lighting

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Autodafe,

We make lights, various types :D I have some of the Cree leds, very expensive, hot instantanious at power up, and without a proper heat sink the life expectancy drops considerably which in my opinion is unimpressive. In the old days normal LED's lasted 20 years +, why the degrade suddenly to a few thousand hours ? Also, the Cree leds draw more current than small globes. It is only the powerfull batteries one get nowadays that makes them go for the hour or two in the small torches...

No led makes a decent light to light up a room. They work as small spot lights yes, but are limited there too. They do work the best if you need something to dim since that is done easily with electronics.

If LED's were so good - low power, superior or competitive light, lifespan, affordable (doesn't come to mind with LEDs yet), etc then everyone everywhere would be installing them in homes, boats, caravans, workshops and the likes. Instead most people are switching to compact fluoresents.

Read for an hour with a LED light, see if it's ok. Wife kicked them out the kitchen before I could put them in :D

2. Autodafe

Autodafe Senior Member

If you have experience with LEDs and still don't like them then thats certainly your privilege :)

My experience has been different to your own however. I use LEDs to light home and boat, and read for many hours at a stretch with white LEDs, without noticing any strain. At home 3x3W light a 15sqm room (with white walls) and light is good for reading in all corners of the room (and thats not just me, my parents have no complaint either). I originally expected to have to mount reading lights as well, as the LEDs are on a 3m high ceiling, but was surprised to discover the intensity at seat level is fine.
    Each LED is mounted on a 25x65mm fin heatsink, chosen because they were the cheapest I could find :D

I agree the install cost is higher for LEDs.
    My total install (3 LEDs, 12V driver, heatsinks, switch + DIY wiring) for each room was just under 50AUD and I was making an effort to find cheap suppliers.

Best of luck with the CFs anyway :)

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I've had LED's installed in the one lounge to shine on the remotes so you can see the bloody buttons. About a year and they are so dim you have to look directly at them to notice they're on. Some green ones are still going strong, but I use them for courtesy lights only. These are on 24 / 7. Amazingly, they still draw full current despine the lack of emmision.

As for general lighting, I've had some good experiences with CF's. Anyway, the stats are up there. It's for everyone to decide for himself what he wants to use.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

To throw another thought around, I am sure the early digital watches that used red LED, to extend battery life, a button was pressed to read the time (instant light of led 7 segment numbers and whilst on were "strobed" fast enough that it appeared to emit a steady light based on being on for 25% and off for 75% of the time...

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Mas, that's almost the same that they do to get 'more' light from these led lights. They overcurrent it for a short duration and then switches it off again, you are in fact seeing fast flashes, but the eye sees it as light.

I remember when those LED wrist watches came to SA... everyone who had R100 (big money back then) had one of those. Was kinda like a status symbol back then ;)

6. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

had one myself then - had to push a button to get it to lit up.

BTW, believe what Fanie say about lights; I had seen his workshop, equipment, product etc etc and he knows his stuff. Really impressive Fanie, just wish I can lay hands one one of those 5 vacuum pumps you have..:( perhaps make a deal with Philemon to pay you a visit:D :D :D

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

almost forgot, thanks for the pannekoek:cool:

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Sorry Wynand, flattery usually gets one everywhere, but not this time. Unfortunately they are reserved.
    My connection called back, they also don't have any. How ablout the bakkie's inlet manifold :D If I come across somethig I'll let you know.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

We must all have watched the first Bond (007) movie......

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Was that the one with David Niven as Commander Bond? (HE was the first Bond as opposed to the ex Seaman Gunner star, Mr Connery, the most famous, if not the ONLY Bond in my Book)

11. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Oh yes and to get back on topic - paraffin mate, sometimes know to the colonials as kerosene, gives light and heat all in one go! OK not so good for reading with but other than that works perfectly (actually using an Aladdin, does pretty well for the reading too! worked perfectly on my last boat, and in the home too - nice and restful on the eyes!