Boat Finish

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Guest, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a '79 VIP Bass Boat and a few years back, a cousin of mine decided to refinish the clear coat. I think he used an acrylic... Well to make a long story short, after 6 years, my boat (which should be sparkly blue) is now dingy green. The clear coat chipped horribly. I am sanding the top side down to the actual blue color removing the acrylic. The paint is still in fantastic shape with the sparkle flakes still very visable. My question is this: I get my boat to the lakes (never ocean) about about 5-7 times a year and keep it stored under my carport with the boat cover on otherwise. If I were to recover it, what would be the best route? I just need a clear coat. I think the gelcoat is colored if I've researched right. Theres not much to clear so I would rather brush it as I have better results than spraying. Thanks for any help in advance!!

~Jonathan
    San Antonio, TX

2. Guest

Guest Guest

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I know Interlux also makes a clear coat product, but I believe it does yellow slightly with UV - how much I do not know...

5. Guest

Guest Guest

What about...

Minwax's Helmsman? It claims: "Gloss finish
    Exceptional protection from sunlight, rain/moisture and temperature changes. Prevents yellowing caused by the sun's ultravoilet rays. Ideal for outdoor furniture, doors, bar tops and wood boats." I plan to brush it on as I said with just 2 coats. Its a '79 bass boat so i dont want to drop 100bux on the paint alone... Will this work on fiberglass? Any other thoughts?? Thanks everyone!

~Jonathan
    ~San Antonio, TX

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.