Boat-building, first-timer design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by homecraftsman, Mar 20, 2010.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

:p Ah, the great outdoors!:p

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Don't know how much more I can contribute. Some words of wisdom from others:

a living designer is more help than a dead one
    unless you're a professional builder plan and build one boat at a time
    do not build a boat that you don't know how to operate
    don't design it yourself unless that's what you do for a living
    don't try to add things you only THINK you will need

In the interests of honest reporting, I have broken all of the above, but the following are golden:

start small or build a model first
    a designer like any other craftsman is worth his pay (bible quotation I think)

And finally a warning to all:

Boats are like rabbits; you can have one or many but not two (Aristotle Onassis?)

3. homecraftsman

homecraftsman Home Craftsman

Hello everyone! I'm almost sold on building a Dudley Dix, Didi 26. The headroom in the cabin isn't what I was hoping to have, but I may make a few minor modifications so that I can get a bit more. Has anyone built this boat? Something similar? Any other designers out there that have a boat I could build from plans that have incorporated more head room? Other than that, it suits my needs very well. Thank you for any suggestions.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Homecraftsman: there are a few references to the DDD26 in the forum, the best way to find them is to use Google's advanced search to perform a site search on the forum site address which is http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.