Best way to replace this transom - help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by WarrenW, Jul 19, 2007.

1. WarrenW

WarrenW Junior Member

I ended up removing all of the wood yesterday and now have just the fiberglass sides and bottom. Good thing I did cause the wood was not good on the outside edge either.

I plan to laminate 2 pieces of 3/4" marine play to build the transom and glass it in using multiple layers of fiberglass tape up to 8" wide and then add braces fiberglassed in. That should hold it!

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I would give it a layer of epoxy on top to seal and glue everything. Make sure you clean up all that wood mulch. I used a pressure cleaner and sander

3. WarrenW

WarrenW Junior Member

Do you think using epoxy all around the bottom and sides to hold in the transome along with fiberglass on the outside and inside corners will hold the transom in there? There are no strings to connect to - only a fiberglass shell hull.

Thanks

4. rovi

rovi Junior Member

What materials should be used to complete the transom,fiberglass matting or woving?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The core should be "tabbed" to the hull shell with fabric. 45/45 biax is preferred, with at least 6" on the hull and 6" on the transom. This means you'll need to stagger the seams if using tape. Of course as has been previously mentioned you need a fillet or built up transition from the core to the hull shell so the fabric will lie flat and smooth without air pockets, bubbles, puckers, etc.

Yes, if your tabbing is thick enough (how many layers of what weight and type fabric?) and well bonded to both hull shell and core, it'll hold fine. Your final task is to give everything a coat of epoxy to seal it down.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.