Best rough water hull you know.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by xarax, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

( killed a nice thread aparently..) :(

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Don't worry, it's a slow thread with a good topic.:)

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

VSV Sharp and pointy.

The owners are farsighted people. They use a traction kite as auxiliary power. http://www.kiteship.com/ :D :D

Pericles

5. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Take a look at the Motor Boat magazine article (July 2007, page 89). Cutting Edge :"Why bash over the waves when you could slice through them ?... "
    Although you need to go to 70 ft to benefit from a wave slicing hull like this...

6. colinstone

colinstone Junior Member

Simple, just some vertical thinking required - a submarine. Go deep to 400 ft and put on the movie!!!

7. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I will concur with Madmat re definition of "rough". It would be generous of designers to include "@ given seastates" in their calculations, hopefully over a wide range to show the comfort/economy zone of their particular craft. As for weight, I will take a heavy boat over a light one if the going is rough. Call it sluggish if you will, but the weight slows down the reaction time nicely. Now if I can just find a design that will cruise at 20knots and be just as smooth at 8, and as long as I'm dreaming, not roll in the trough...

8. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

light boats dont bob like heavy ones do , the 31 jc wieghing in at 11.000 lb is also hard chine and dont roll in the trough, ,the light boat bobs like a cork in a bucket,,you shake the bucket full of water and the cork ,floats and some part of it is still dry ,,you put a heavy piece of wood in the same bucket and do the same ,the heavy piece bobs below the surface,add some technology and design and you get a 31 jc hull ,,you can make it a pleasere boat or a work boat,,,,for the life of me ,I cant believe the designers on this site have not recognized this boat,,,,they dont advertise ,,because word of mouth is more powerfull ,,I have seen the company go frome a one a month boat yard to haveing at least 2 major yards ,,one in new hampshier and one in fla ,,the boat also has other advantages,being built of airex ,which is lighter and stronger than glass,,and also it floats ,,,,so even if your boat is swampt ,,your not going down,,,,earlier on I made a miss calculation on fuel consumption ,, I rode hurricane juan out on one of these ,,and many tropical depresions,,and was able to outrun 6 other hurricanes on this boat,,,,,,but I still cant believe that the desingers here have refused to look at the positives of these boats,,,,as a commercial fisherman in the gulf of mexico ,,I made at least,,,,,,,40 fishing trips a year.,,,year round ,in all weather ,you can lead a horse to water ,but you cant make him drink ,,,,,,,,longliner

9. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

yes but the heavy hull requires a much larger engine to push it along which costs more!! get a catamaran and see the light
    sean

10. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

I thought it was a ROUGH water hull - Cats excluded due to the word ROUGH.

11. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Longliner, The way I read it was: You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him ski... Northerncat, I cant see the light for all the darn spray!

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

13. longliner45

pericles,,why are all the photos in slick calm sea?

14. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

15. longliner45

still dont see cats in any rough weather ....just some pics of pretty places,and a bunch of words.,,,,,,,,just dont see it ,,when a boats wieght is divided and spread out over 2 hulls,,,,with no draft to speak of ,going rough,they tip over you know,never to have a chance to correct ,,not that all monos are 100 %gaurnteed to correct,but for my money and choises ,and takeing my chances,will be a mono,,,,,,preferably a fixed keel sailboat,,,,,work boats are so,,,,,how you say,,,,,alotaworktodoallthetime:),,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.