best material to be used when fairing?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nevilleh, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Flexicat is developing a flexible electric sander.

Indeed, fairing and smoothing are 2 completely different things.

Some small tips:

-1. Fairing is done with course sandpaper. P40 is common, but P36 and even P24 is very usable as well. The only goal is to get the right (fair) shape. If you take a defunct fluorescent light, (just the light, not the armature) and slide that over the surface, holding it in the middle, you will feel it rock over high spots. Mark them, so you can grind them electrically before even attempting long boarding.

-2. After a couple of long boarding /putty sessions (also check the putty applicators of www.Flexicat-tools.com, your hull should be fair. Not smooth, but fair. You can even apply a coating of some sort, so the colour gets even again, to visually check the fairness. Now is time to bring out the electric sanders, and sand everything smooth enough for the paint system. Use a sanding control powder. It costs hardly anything, but it makes sure you do not oversand, but also makes sure you sand enough. A great help, and makes sanding psychologically easier.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

When Im getting close to finish and I dont want to sand too much I skim the job with a very very fine mist of any colour paint. It can be an aerosol it is such a fine mist you may not be abler to see it until you wet flat it then all the pin pricks become obvious even under water.

Always use a block I like those rubber ones I think 3m made them..

Don't spend too much time on primer get some colour on and prep that.

3. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

Whoa there buddy I know perfectly well what it means I just wanted Frosty to clarify his statement. As far as experience goes the worn out rotator cuff in my right arm will attest to the fact that I've spent most of my life doing **** like this. As a matter of fact I have a car project coming into the shop this spring, and do you know what it is...it's a Model T.

Wanna guess what color we've picked out?

As much as I'm looking forward to the challenge I'm also regretting that I agreed to do the paint job...knowing full well how much Ibuprofen I'm going to have to take just to get through the days and nights ahead. If anything you can call me stupid for saying "yes" but never make the assumption that I "lack the exsperiance" old bean.

MM

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Model T --thats 3 days job.

In 1925 Black was the only colour made for cars --even then it was'nt cellulose.

5. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

Frosty,
    I wish I could be that optimistic...lol. I've known this guy for 30 years and I've seen some of his other project cars when he's finished them...they have all rolled out of his garage with what I call a 50' paint job, if you know what I mean. He likes the mechanical tinkering part of the project, but when it comes to paint...well he's just as likely to smear it on with a roller or paint brush. Come to think of it I've never seen one where I couldn't spot the rusty bits and dented panel sections from almost as far away as I could see the car. Granted I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm preparing myself mentally for the worst.

MM

6. OFFSHORE GINGER

OFFSHORE GINGER Junior Member

Frosty , why dont you just say the word Guide Coat which actually should be used at all stages , and lets not forget that if the area of concern is to high ....you sand , and if it is low you fill .

7. OFFSHORE GINGER

OFFSHORE GINGER Junior Member

Gotta tell yah that many many years ago when i worked at Thompson Boat Co the only filler that was used or they provided was a filler (putty) made from Gel Coat and Cabsoil , and that was it .

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You said it was just a paint job.

Before filler was lead. That is not easy.

There was a filler that came in hexagonal sticks and was melted on like lead . It was some kind of plastic.

My Father made RR hurse bodies for Smith Nicholson and West.

He would also make fuel tanks for 3.5 liter Bently's riveted together!!!

He would make chrome bumper bolts by hammering copper over a bolt head and had it chromed. This was the normal way.

The roofs were long and longer than the steel available. He could gas weld 2 sheets together with out distortion.

6psi acetylene 10 oxygen with a number 2.

Ha,--- he tought me how to split an 1/8th brazing rod down its length to make 1/16.

Im not telling yer.

9. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

And to this day I still use that same concoction when I'm working on minor gelcoat blemishes. It may sand like the devil but if you can get the color to match when you're done...you're done.

MM

10. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

Yes it is "just a paint job" but as we've already discussed here there is more to it then that. While this job is going to be done in steel on a car the same principles of fairing will apply which I hope explains my interest in this thread. It was just a happy coincidence that you brought up "the old days" and black cars in the same sentence since this is exactly what I'll be working on. After all it's highly unlikely that I'll get a chance to work anything older then a Model T, and well they only come in black. Talk about serendipity.

MM

11. MaxHammer

MaxHammer Junior Member

Thanks mate! I will definitely check the Manhattan Supply website, that is in the text. It gives me some nice ideas.

OFFSHORE GINGER

Yes! Hutchins are the ones I am looking for as well. They have the section for marine sanders too.Can anyone else give me their experience about the Hutchins Sanders?

12. MaxHammer

MaxHammer Junior Member

:) Flexicat Tools - Heat debate and rummors

Guys,

With my posts about the flexible (electric) sanders. Recently I found out about Flexicat tools. I presume most of you know them.

Can I post links here? I do not want to make an advertisment. Editor make sure to erase it, if it is forbiden :)

Here is the link www.flexicat-tools.com

I post it here because there is some heat debate and rumors about this company lately. They are quite small I believe, but there is some connection bewteen them and the Gurit company (Gurit is big composite company). I heard some rumors, that Flexicat developed something that is as I called in previous post a "Flexible electric Sander" and that Gurit company is crazy about it.

Anyone else got some rumors, experience and thoughts about this company? (Flexicat I mean) :)

Maybe someone here have some links on this flexible sander too? :D

13. MaxHammer

MaxHammer Junior Member

Wow Herman! I overlooked you post there. So the rumors are realy true and the Flexicat are making an electric flexible sander :D That would definitely be interesting to watch. Do you have some pictures of this new flexible sander?
    I know the flexibility of their hand tools and I see that you have plenty of experience there.

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Ive not heard of a Flexi sander, but I do see the Professional yacht paint companies use Flexi boards. Did you check the Gurit site.

Flexi is Expensive pro gear

15. Cat Cruiser

Cat Cruiser Junior Member

like spies hecker "spray bondo". we used to use some chalky blue stuff supplied by kelegecell. we looked like smurfs at the end of the day-- my co-workers did anyway.