Best Marine Design Software for Hull Modeling? (2008-09)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Admin, Apr 8, 2008.

?

Which program(s) do you use as your primary hull design software?

1. Autoship (Autoship Systems Corporation)

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Catia

9 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. DefCar (DefCar Engineering)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Delftship

28 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Fastship (Proteus Engineering)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. HullCAO (HullCAO)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  7. Hull Form (Blue Peter Marine Systems)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Maxsurf (Formation Design Systems)

59 vote(s)
    28.2%
  9. MultiSurf (Aerohydro)

10 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. Naval Designer

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  11. Prolines (Vacanti Yacht Design)

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. ProSurf (New Wave Systems)

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. Rhino (Robert McNeel & Assoc.)

53 vote(s)
    25.4%
  14. SeaSolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. TouchCAD

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  16. Other (please post below)

18 vote(s)
    8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumar_83

Kumar_83 New Member

NX to ModelMaker

Hi Felix,

I'm a new engineer currently having problem importing from NX to Modelmaker.

I currently have to manually retrieve co-ordinates from NX3 and manually enter into ModelMaker to create the model.

Could you please elaborate on the module you use to interface with model maker?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with NX!

2. Felix Muehlhoff

Felix Muehlhoff Junior Member

Hi Kumar_83,

there is a software tool (add on) programmed by the netherlands Siemens organization. It is called 'section tool' within the translator for Modelmaker. Using this piece of software is very simple. Once you have a hull form, sew the sheet bodies and then run the tool. Result is a CMD file for Modelmaker. I think contact your local Siemens dealer to ask the netherlands Siemens organization for this tool.
    If you want to get a test file send me a hull (NX of Parasolid). You get a CMD file as soon as possible.

Regards

Felix

3. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

We use NX at work, linked with Teamcentre (the Siemens data manager programme). It is excellent and can be used right through the design process up to production (BOM etc). However, I wouldn't use it for the initial design process, something like Paramarine is much better (it also uses the parasolid kernel, so is easy to share with NX). Paramarine has dedicated Early Stage Design, stabilty, powering, maoeuvring, etc. It is generally only used for naval vessels but can be used for anything (expensive though).

4. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Orca3d

Shouldn´t we add this new comer to the market, looks pretty solid to me...

5. CGN

CGN Senior Member

looks OK, but what's the difference to rhino marine?

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

From what I've heard (and this is more rumour than substantiated evidence), Orca3D is being developed by the same engineers responsible for RhinoMarine, who apparently are no longer with Proteus.

7. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Looks like it, is not a knock on them but seems to be the same as rhino marine juts more expensive, maybe more polished? than rhinomarine no doubt is great because it works inside rhino but rhinomarine too.

I have to say kudos to them, the more software is available the more options we can have

8. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

I have heard the same as marshmat, and the split was on good terms. Thus I suspect you will see ORCA continue to evolve, while Rhinomarine not. But regardless, I think ORAC3D should have an entry, as should RhinoMarine... but that is my opinion ;-)

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

And interesting that they have taken Maestro with them but not Fastship. Definately a product to watch.

I'd move to them like a shot If they added damaged stability and free surfaces.

10. iparpura

iparpura New Member

I was working in Rhino from 2000 to 2006, and it was`t very useful for workshop documentation and for final design detail definition.
    So now I am using Multisurf as basic geometry definition for solidworks in which you can do all kind of details and all kind of production documentation.
    Anyhow this combination is fully parametric and object oriented , so time consuming in changes is reduced to minimum plus whatever is modeled once it can be easy inserted in new design with new design code number but a same stock code number.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Q...what do you mean by hull design software?

Do you actually mean what software do you use to create the 3D shape for a hull?, or what software do you use to create drawings?...all very different and not necessarily the same.

The best hull modelling software i have seen ever, is Paramarine version 6. Their hull modelling using what they call XTCurves, is the most advance bit of software i have ever seen...makes Rhino/Maxsurf etc see like a set square and pencil on graph paper being used in the dark. It has raised the bar in modelling...

Otherwise for "design", i use my brain, software already hardwired!

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

AdHoc,
    Do you know how much Paramarine 6 costs? Or is it one of those programs where you call the company directly and strike a deal based on what you plan to do with it?

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

It is a whole suit of programs..one just selects the software bit one wants. It does the lot. The main problem is that for years it has been used by the military, and the guys have yet to realise their "global market". As such they are currently looking at what the costs should be. I have recommended to them to use Rhino/Maxsurf as their guide, for just the hull modelling bit.

I was at a demo last month at BMT Haslar....a very complex curved trimaran done in just 6 curves. It also has a very neat bitmap function. Scan in a bitmap of a photo of a vessel, and click on key locations and hey presto, a set of faired lines is produced...bloody amazing!!

http://www.grc-ltd.co.uk/products/paramarine/index.asp

You want version 6, not 5. Version 6 has the XT Curve modeller....it really will blow your mind better than any **** star!!!

14. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

I believe Paramarine starts at about £15k. The other bits (stability, manoeuvring, seakeeping etc) are extra. Its good stuff.

15. colaktu

colaktu New Member

If you once learn NAPA everything is too simple.
    Now with release 2008.2 it has RANS solver.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.