Best Free or Low Cost Marine Design Software? (2006)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Admin, Jan 1, 2006.

?

Which free or low cost hull modeling program(s) do you use?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2007.
  1. Bearboat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BioDesign

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Carene

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Carlson Design Hull Designer

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Free!ship

63 vote(s)
    79.7%
  6. HullCAO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hull Form Free Version

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. PolyCAD

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. SDN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Ideas?

Hi Steve,

No specific ideas, as I've never had actual holes in the IGES file, if that's what you mean.

Can you post the IGES file in question or send it to me at:
    Chris at wedgesail dot com

I'll drop it in my computer and give you the best guess scenario based on my black hole of vast knowledge on Rhino stuff ;-)

I have seen sections of IGES files out near the ends of rather slender panels, and those that have a good deal of allowable twist, where the otherwise single IGES surface breaks into a grouping of 3 to 5 extra, tiny surfaces to describe the ends of the larger surface. The Curve From Edges command does not fully integrate those tiny surfaces, so you have to go way into zoom mode to get them to conform.

The attachment shows a collection of the tiny dudes in cyan.

Hey, the tunnel flats skiff design that you posted at FreeShip was a very nice effort. I see real potential in that form once a couple of details are worked through in a scale model, perhaps. Nice work, Steve.

Your work is really taking you to new places.

Chris

Attached Files:

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

On the way.

Thank you kindly...it was actually in response to a thread here. It would need some testing to get the tunnel to flow right and the back sponsons to support the motor so the A** end isn't dragging too much. With the prop in the tunnel and enought draft to keep it wet, I was thinking that a mesh guard along the bottom of the tunnel would allow water through but help protect the prop from nasties. You could get it high and dry that way and still keep it intact.

Steve

3. Rick Loheed

Rick Loheed Junior Member

Export from Rhino

Say, I downloaded FreeShip too, and like it a lot. Kudos to Martijn!

I write software in Delphi as well, but alas only have Delphi 5 and it appears it is written in Delphi 7...very interesting and well written stuff. It would only take me a few years to get up to speed.....

Being a Scow sailor I wish it could do heeled hydrostatics and resistance, but that seems to be on the list too.

I did read the help file, and wrote this VBscript for export from Rhino to FreeShip. Try it out, I had some success and some unhappiness.

Read the FreeShip PDF manual, page 17 (Also very nice- the best I've seen EVER for free software....) for what FreeShip expects from you in Rhino- my script will write the file no problem.

Adjust the closed curve seams to the same end!

Attached Files:

4. ballywho

ballywho New Member

I am looking to make some of my line drawings that I've made when I'm bored into actual 3D designs. They're all high performance sailboats. I assume everyone here will agree that free!ship is my best bet? I want it to be fairly easy to use and learn, it's really just something for me to play around with.

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Yes, freeship is fun.
    And it's capability per dollar ratio has to be the best of any marine design software.
    Coordinates of your design's sections can be imported in a txt file to create markers. And then freeship makes a mesh that approximates your design. If you've been playing with it a few days you probably already know this.

6. pashbe1

pashbe1 Junior Member

holes in Rhino?

Real Holes or simply Rhinos not so great graphics capabilities? If the holes are simply graphics try joining the two surfaces and then unjoin them again. This accomplishes the visual part. If there are genuine gaps between surfaces I can't help.

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

8. snakefeet

snakefeet Junior Member

lewisboats, are they actually holes in or between the surfaces? Or does it look like there are jagged gaps between surfaces when you shade the model? If it is the latter, go to Tools -> Options -> Mesh and dial up the mesh quality.

There is some good info on mesh settings in the help under "Document Properties Mesh Settings"

9. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

In Rhino, try Joining the surfaces to apolysurface, the ShowEdges, "naked egdes" and the JoinEdge.

Or, MatchSrf (without Join).

10. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.