Best Bang For The Buck Fasteners

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Boston, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok working remotely from the I pad I just got
    ya they have hundreds of those things
    now to find out what exact alloy of copper and what exact alloy of other stuff
    I would assume they mean pure
    but who knows
    be sides I still just should look into buying ingots
    anyway gotta get I should be preparing for a meating

best
    and thanks for all the advice folks including those who are suggesting I not follow this rout
    who knows might just be more trouble than its worth but if rod and ingot are about the same price and its cheaper that the finished product then it seems logical that a few days in my buddies machine shop would do the trick

cheers
    B

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

The copper in electrical work is usually fairly pure because most additives reduce the conductivity of copper but the leads of integrated circuits are likely to be an alloy of some kind, they are too springy for pure copper IMHO. Old house wiring from a demolition site is probably better.

Just for interest, the electrical conductivity standard used to be (probably still is) pure silver, supposed to be the best there was, but back in the 60's I read reports of a copper alloy that was supposed to be about 5% better than pure silver and way better than the best silver plating I could get done at the time. Silver plating was de rigour in the RF filters I was working on at the time, and in a RF filter it's the surface conductivity that counts, not the conductivity at the center. I never managed to try out the new alloy but a filter made of regular copper without silver plating beat the filter with the silver plating. However, as it would have had to have an ugly non-conductive (matt black I think) coating the marketing people nixed the idea; they said that, to sell, a filter had to have a shiny silver plate finish and that was that.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Well I'd like to think that they material that makes up the alloy would be pure and so I could at least have hot at brewing my own

I might not be ble to salvage pure but I should be ble to at lest buy some

Thing is. Far. I can tel that this stuff is o expensive because no one generally uses it and not because it's al that difficult to manufacture

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Epoxy is by far the best fastener.

-Tom

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

been trying to look up ingot cost but its like some kind of trade secret or something
    they all want your e mail and a blood sample before they will cop to the cost of there product

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

My machinist friend says he has a handle on rod and wire which is about the only way he is going to be able to run the screws for me anyway

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Have you asked from foundries? They buy the same stuff and most are willing to sell some for builders..

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thats a thought
    there is a foundry here in town somewhere
    friend of mine used to work there
    I think it was called electron

thanks
    B

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok turns out plumbing grade copper pipe is 99.9% copper
    those silicon chips are
    well
    silicon
    and the tin can be had in pure form at that foundry you mentioned Samy
    the total cost is about 1/4 ingot

now to figure out what the melting point of each is and if I can achieve high enough temps to properly mix the lot all at once or if I have to pour one into another while stirring
    boil boil toil and trouble

I'm going to buy the screws as I found a pretty good price on em
    but I'm still going to make my own bolts and fittings
    getting antsy for some prints

B

oh hey
    early on we discussed what metal is best
    stainless came up and Gonzo mentioned loyds give it a 0 rating below the line
    went on to say something about crevice corrosion
    what is crevice corrosion ?

thanks
    B

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thats the corrosion occuring when the metal is not in contact with oxygen to form a isolating (corroded) surface. The same happens with Al.

So, when you construct a crvice where there is no oxygen (contact with wood for example), the SS will corrode from the inside.

The oxygen content of the sea and rivers is enough to prevent crevice corrosion on submerged surfaces. But then galvanic can occur.....

Regards
    richard

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

so that would be why standing hardware can be aluminum but below the line no aluminum is ever used

dam the things I learn around here

great explanation Richard
    cheers
    B

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok new plan
    the cost of silly bronze ingots here in town is all of 4.35 lb
    its not worth mixing my own
    thing is although they are calling it marine grade its got manganese in place of the tin
    whats up with that

they say it gives it better color but I dont much care about color I'm all about corrosion resistance.

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Boston

making your own bronce is not the way to go anyway. It is not just melting some ingots. There are quite complicated procedures involved producing a alloy.

Metallurgy is one of the hardest jobs to learn.

15. wardd

wardd Senior Member

not to mention quality control

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.