Bentley 2007 Pontoon Problems

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by pademarco, Aug 2, 2007.

1. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Chris, I assume you are making a threat directed at me. Are you and your company accusing me of slander. Do you represent you company in make this statement. You can not produce one document that your company has made any repairs on my boat as of the date. I made the needed repairs so the boat could be used. I do have photos of other Bentley boats in stock with brackets ready to brake, wiring just crimped to gather with no shrink tape. Navigation light exposed to the water. I guess JD POWERS is Wrong. Would you like to see the other photos of the Boats in stock with the same issues and will cause the same problems after use. I sure hope you never get a job in customer relations with your company or any other company. You sure no how to put gas on the fire. Are you and your Company, Bentley make threats to me about litigation. If you know the definition of slander it when a person or persons make false accusations in order to harm. I have not made one false statement about my problem with your company, Bentley, but now I have you make fales statement against me. Your the one make false actuation about me, when you state that your company has made some repairs. THEY HAVE MADE NO REPAIRS> Again GET YOUR FACT STRAIGHT

2. CHRIS WILLAIMS

CHRIS WILLAIMS Junior Member

PETER, I didnt say that Bentley are any of our dealers made the repairs. Get your facts straight! I know the dealer has ask, and Dale has ask you to take the boat in for your issues, But you would rather ***** then go and get your boat fixed! (You do know, that doing your own repairs may vold your warranty on those items). Yes, I know the definition of Slander. Its exactly what you are doing. You have been seending pictures to many forums on the internet, emailing our dealers, and even posted it on a SALE you boat site Oxl, which is our protential customers! So Yes, i do know what it means. Have a Good Day.

3. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Chris, just to get the facts right about you. I called the company to confirm that you indeed represent your company. I assume that the treats directed at me of slander and litigation because of the posting of all my problems with your product on the INTERNET, comes from your company. By the way EVERY STATEMENT EVER WRITTEN ABOUT YOUR COMPANY AND MY PROBLEM IS RUE AND IS BACKUP WITH FACT NOT SMOKE I have post many time that your company is willing to correct the problems. I would like to know if you or your company would like to buy the boat back. How about giving me a boat to use while you repair mine. Again the reason I bought a NEW boat to use for the summer in the water not to have it on land for repairs. The repair I made are just to get me by, untill its returned to the dealer.

4. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Chris, Are you now saying that you company, Bentley could void the warranty on my boat because I Made Emergency repair so I could use this boat. Navigation light not working, and the lower shields falling off. I guess I should have taken the boat out of the water tow it 250 miles back to the dealer and then back to my summer home. With every week another problem. I would have about 1000 land miles on this boat and counting, not to mention the cost of gas tolls wear on the trailer. I have to admit, you are a real class act as far as your language and your comments, and you represent Bentley. Your action and language directed against me concerning my problems with your company Bentley Boats, is creating a much bigger issue with me. Its moving from the boat to you. I think any one reading your remarks on the issue no were you are coming from.

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Chris,

Just a few observations, from my background as both an experienced boater who has purchased new and used boats, and as an executive with several manufacturing companies who has had success in solving quality problems and satisfying customers with complaints:

Your statement above to Poida does imply that Bentley has made some repairs, so Peter's denial of that is not unreasonable.

That Bentley has offered to make the repairs is only to be expected, but there is a larger question raised in every warranty issue. Will you merely repair or replace to your own original standard, which is demonstrably deficient; or do you have a genuine commitment to quality improvement, demonstrated by replacement of defective workmanship and materials with those of a higher quality? "Fixing" poor quality with new poor quality is not really fixing the problem, merely deferring it. Doing so in hopes that the fix will last until the warranty period has passed has become an all too common practice in American industry. American auto manufacturers have practiced this legalistic interpretation of warranty repair for decades. There is ample research to show that this practice has been a significant factor in their loss of market share to "imports", many of which are now made in the US. US consumers willingly pay higher prices for autos made by Honda, Toyota, and others, because of better quality. From the buyer's point of view, telling him/her to stop using it, bring it back at his/her expense, and be deprived of the use of it (while still paying for it) for however long it may take to address all the repairs may be legal, but it is unacceptable. If enough buyers have problems, word will spread, as it appears to be now. The About.com columnist who cited the JD Powers consumer ratings made it clear what the methodology is: this particular rating is based on the results of surveys sent to consumers who purchased the boats in question. In the columnist's words, "This whole process, in my opinion, results in just about the most accurate assessment of buyer product satisfaction or lack thereof, that you can get."

Your analogy of building a home is interesting; you seem to feel that all homebuilders and, by implication, all boat builders will leave a long list of shoddy work and materials to be fixed after the sale. Unfortunately there are some who operate like that, and stay in business for a while. I hope you are not stating that Bentley's business plan is to build the lowest quality they can get away with, hoping to be able to make enough repairs to get through the warranty period, at which point they can state they have no further legal obligation.

For many years American auto manufacturers expressed attitudes similar to yours whenever a customer complained publicly about poor quality in a car; calling claims of poor quality "slander", threatening legal action, etc. The result has been declining sales and profits and the passage of "lemon laws" in many states.

Every customer has the right to expect that there will be no defects in the product they purchase. Every manufacturer has the opportunity, when it becomes apparent that they have serious quality problems, to either be legalistic and do the minimum, or go overboard to take charge of the problem and delight the customer by doing way beyond the minimum and insuring that those problems will never arise again.

Many companies have fanatically loyal customers, and quite a few of your own competitors have much higher satisfaction ratings from their customers. It's not all that difficult to satisfy a customer. It does take a commitment to go way beyond the "bring it back at your expense and suffer without its use while we replace the original crappy stuff with more equally crappy stuff" traditional manufacturer's mentality. No, you're not legally required to do any of that. You'll only do it if you want to earn a good reputation.

As my Mom used to say, "Actions speak louder than words."

6. CHRIS WILLAIMS

Peter, Someone will be intouch with you real soon. Have a great day!

7. CHRIS WILLAIMS

Charlie, Thanks for your input. I guess i just get defenceive that someone without given us a chance to correct his problems, would go tell anybody that will listen what a bad company we are, When nothing could be futher from the truth. If he would give us the chance.. Im sure he would be satisfied with the repairs. But yet without that opportunity he still complaning. Like my mom use to say... Suger taste better then vinager!

8. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Just to let all readers out there know that I am 66 years old. I have been in the Automotive field since twelve and started my business in 1968. I am ASE Certified Automotive Master Technician .We work on BMW, Mercedes and all types of exotic cars as well as domestic. I am not a person without knowledge about many of these issues with this boat and how the repairs need to be corrected. My intention concerning my problems with this boat is to make the company make the changes needed so other will not have the same issues. This only can be done by changing some of the design problems. Instead we have gone in the direction of threats and the use of language which will not help to resolve problems but instead create more. Chris Williams does represent Bentley and I guess Bentleys views, and he has chosen to escalate the problem with his remarks. My number to any one that wishes to speak to me is 973-546-2677. My company Name Is Pete's Auto Service Located In Lodi NJ 07644 I am not hiding under the rug from any one concerning this matter . Pete

9. CHRIS WILLAIMS

Just asking for a fair chance Pete, Thats all. Then if we cant make you happy.. Go tell the world!

10. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Cris, I never mention any were that your company was bad. My complaint is with the product I bought from your company and the problems it has caused me and my family this summer which should have never happen. A bad company is your iterpertaction. Your involvement in this issue has created more problems. Your remarks toward me and language will not resolve any issue as far as I am concerned. If you really want to get upset try going for a ride in your boat, you leave with a little more then a half a tank riding around with four grandchildren ages 3, 4 7 10 your wife and the boat stops. Can't figure out the problem in the middle of the bay and you are drifting children are crying my wife is up set. Never thinking that you have no gas until you lift up the rear deck looked at the gas tank and guess what NO GAS. even trough the Gage reads 1/4 tank when it was really empty. That's because the tank has a bow at the top downward and the sending unit will not read write. NOW THATS THE DEFINITION Of BEING MAD Trying going for a ride at night with your family and thinking that your navigation light are on only to find out that your front lights don't work and your driving in the dark with no front lights. Then you find out later it because the wires are corroded. THATS THE DEFINITION OF MAD. Try taking out your boat and ever one is afraid of going for a ride because the shield under the boat are coming loss and making such a racket you would think the boat is falling apart. When this was happening I did not know were the problem was, Until I decided to swim under the boat. THATS THE DEFINITION of MAD. So don't try to explain your definition of mad to others. Again you are choosing to escalate this problem with your remarks. I will replay to any and all the remarks you make concerning this matter. And lets not forget these problem started with this boat from the first day in the water. I have only owned this boat a little over four months and most of the time just used on weekends. This boat is not years old. Its supposed to be NEW, THREE MONTHS OLD YOU BUY NEW NOT TO EXPERANCE ALL THESE PROPLEMS.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  11. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Chris,When this matter is resolved I will tell the world the out come and if its favorable and just I will say so. If the problems are just a patch job I will also say so. Company's lean and grow from mistakes and become better. They take the bad and the good and they make a better product. You can not achieve this when you start to threaten people with legal action and use language not dignified for use in solving a problem.

12. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Charlie, Thanks for that great interpretation and your views on this this issue
    Pete

13. CHRIS WILLAIMS

Pete, You dont have to keep repeating the problems, I think everyboby knows your not a happy customer. And where did i say i was mad? I'm not mad at you. I'm disapointed in the way you have chosing to attack the company that im proud to work for. But i'm not mad at you! Knowing how the float system works on the gas tank, (which we dont make) i dont see how that could have happen, but i will take the word of an ASA tech (so you dont have to repeat that) that it did. No problem, we will put a new one in that not bowed. I think you have fixed the wiring and splash shield? If not.. No problem, well take care of that as well. (and heres where i keep repeating myself) When you are ready to have your boat fixed, Take it to your dealer. They will get right on it. Any Bentley issue will be taken care of ASAP!

14. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Chris how should I interpret your meaning of these word by you towards me.
    Today, 01:15 PM
    CHRIS WILLAIMS
    Junior Member Join Date: Aug 2007
    Rep: 10 Posts: 9

Quote ()Peter, Someone will be intouch with you real soon. Have a great day!

15. alan white

alan white Senior Member

There is no defense for poor workmanship in many areas. It is not only irresponsible but possibly dangerous (where are the lights when you're navigating home through rocky shoals? Corroded!).
    I'm afraid, Chris, that few will agree that making good after delivery is adaquate. The customer isn't supposed to be a guinea pig. A single or a couple of problems I can understand. The many problems mentioned here go well beyond acceptable. It might even be (though I doubt it) that this one boat is a fluke. Yet, knowing it does indeed have numerous aggravating problems, you attempt to downplay the obvious------ that someone has not received what they had been promised.
    Honoring a warranty as written may appear to define your limits of liability, and perhaps in the past, it was.
    Today, there is a thing called a "Lemon Law".
    It can be decided in a fair hearing that a product so badly succeeded in meeting the claims made at the point of sale that no amount of compensation short of returning the amount paid in full is allowed.

We could all be wealthy if only we didn't care about our work. That's why your attitude irks me. I never have these problems because I make sure my work is solid and done right.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.