Beach launch compact fishing design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by IronPrice, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

2. Mr Efficiency

Transom deadrise.....10 degrees approx
    Chine width @ transom.....4'6'' minimum
    warped plane bottom, 20" transom height (open)
    20hp would be enough if built light
    full forward sections to limit bow dip, and improve stability. In a small boat on the big sea, you want the bulky bow !
    Length 13 feet minimum
    Straight hull sections, no developable surfaces needed with PVC foam
    forefoot not too deep, just enough to offer a reasonable cut-water, not enough to encourage broaching.
    I have no idea if any similar boat plans are available. :(

3. IronPrice

IronPrice Senior Member

What do you think about a 16 degree dead-rise with about a 1 metre internal beam with additional width from side sponsons that also function as reverse chines?

4. Mr Efficiency

You can get "boat collars" that act as side sponsons with a reverse chine effect........ 4476639_orig.jpg

5. Mr Efficiency

I really can't see how one man can easily launch a small boat off a steep beach, where there isn't a gutter, just a nasty shore dump.....

6. IronPrice

IronPrice Senior Member

Are you familiar with stabi craft?

I imagine a stabi craft about 3.6M long with an internal beam of 0.8 metres.

Tonnes of buoyancy, reverse chines to assist stability at rest/anchor, narrow cross section for reduced mass/wetted area/frontal drag, wide gunwales to sit on.

7. Mr Efficiency

I have seen stabi-craft, not a fan of that type of thing, really. And your weight specs won't be met, surely ? The 14' stabicraft is 230kg dry weight. Why do you want the narrow internal space ? Certainly such a boat can survive better being swamped, it does seem to be an analogue of an inflatable, in that respect. I'd rather keep the water out of the boat, and in a beach launch situation that is always on the cards, with low freeboard at the bow, and/or lack of fullness forward. I really think 3.6 m is too small for any open water situation, and 4m should be your bottom limit, and preferably 4.3m

8. Mr Efficiency

An open boat with a high peak at the bow, is a bit of a nuisance in normal operations, with tiller steer ( a must in your situation) it makes forward visibility a problem, and also puts the boat more under the influence of cross-winds, but it is useful to keep water from entering the boat, running a break.

9. IronPrice

IronPrice Senior Member

Timing - if you wait there is always a big enough gap. The steeper the beach, the easier it is. The smaller the boat the easier it is.

10. Mr Efficiency

A small tin boat with the boat collars might do the job. The collars weigh not much at all.

broach-1-1-1-a-chop.jpg

11. Mr Efficiency

......those collars would also offer a nice buffer to being belted on the legs by the boat.

12. Mr Efficiency

I am not familiar with that situation, really, I guess the locals have nailed down the right technique.....

13. IronPrice

IronPrice Senior Member

I want a small and light boat, narrow is just a way of achieving that.

I'm prepared to tolerate small and narrow because I currently fish out of a kayak (0.83m external beam), launching from the same launch spots.

I was just looking at some specs for a 3.4m stabi-craft type boat. 90kg dry weight, >1m internal beam, 15 HP Max power.

I've been thinking about the bow issue you mention. I would need lift in the bow but as you note don't want to impede visibility.

What if I carry the sponsons all the way to the bow that might give me fullness without height. I could also fit a low spray dodger of some sort.

When I was kid friends had a wahoo wildthing like this.

It was the opposite of what I'm talking about , short and flat. That thing was phenomenal. You could literally go play in 5 foot surf.

14. IronPrice

IronPrice Senior Member

The nifty boats are an option too but I think I would pop it landing on a gravel beach.

15. Mr Efficiency

I am not a salesman for those collars, by the way, or have any stake in the business, but I can see they have some usefulness, particularly where you don't want to add much weight, and improve stability of small craft. You could make your own at a pinch, it is just polyethylene foam, basically.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.