Battery Switching Schematic

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 67-LS1, Sep 4, 2003.

1. 67-LS1

67-LS1 Senior Member

Where can I get data including a diagram to layout a battery bank on a boat?
    The boat has twin engines and a genset. Currently, there are three battery "sets", one for each main engine (each with one battery) and one for generator starting and house power (two batteries). This doesn't seem correct.
    There are currently two battery switches, both are the one-both-one-off type. I would like to re-use these but it's not mandatory.
    Any links or book titles? Manufactures pages?
    Thanks,
    Dennis

2. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Out of curiosity, I went looking to see what the difference would be between the .com and .co.uk amazon sites (other than the currency -- yes it's been a slow hour as I've been waiting for something to finish printing :))

I found the The amazon .com version has 'look inside pages' with 42 sample pages which I can't find on the .co.uk site...

Conversely, I had always assumed they would fold in reviews from other same-language versions of their site all under the one book page, but the reviews on the one site don't inlude the reviews from the other.

4. robertlee

robertlee New Member

check out guestco marine, also try boatfix.com

5. Westport

Westport Guest

It would be helpful to not what type of charging system (alternators?) you are using? I don't think there is a set standard for the wiring of the engines and batteries, and can be done in several ways.

Alot of big motor homes, that have a main for engine, and another set for the genset and/or interior battry bank use the Leece-Neville DUVAC system.

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_support/duvac.php

it take alot of the headache out of trying to charge several banks of batteries without unit feedback and drain.

I wish I had a site that could be more of detail, but the Leece-Neville webite may be of help

Tim

6. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

There are several ways to wire that engine configuration but there are some basic layouts that are commonly used for your particular choices in equipment. Following these commonly used layouts helps make things easier for alterations to the system later and when someone comes to repair your system it is all recognizable layout i.e. easy to troubleshoot and fix. It doesn't sound like a bad beginning layout (battery wise) but you must make sure you isolate them properly and make them easily understood and controllable charging circuits. What do you intend to use the boat for? Cruising... long range...at anchor...in the marina... short fishing trips...runabout..commercial ? All these things effect your equipment and wiring choices. The book described above shows some basic layouts that are good.
    Concerning your 1,2,both switches. These days I usually use solenoids with momentary switches to activate startup crossovers, thereby eliminating the chance of accidentally depleting your startup capability. This method also gives you immediate startup without running to a switch. (sometimes useful when your in a big hurry)

7. AlaskaFisherman

AlaskaFisherman Junior Member

www.Bluesea.com
    They have everything you are looking for. Their catalog even has diagrams. I can fax some if anyone needs them.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.