Batteries

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by WickedGood2, Feb 23, 2011.

1. WickedGood2

WickedGood2 Guest

What size make & model type of Batteries go into the 9V Lithium battery pack,
    that is used in EPIRB BATTERIES McMurdo type 82-140?

Does ayone know of a supplier?

Are they soldered together?

How do you replace the battery?

I want to do it myself as it is way too expensive to have a dealer do it.

I also have a couple of Raytheon Handheld VHF Radios that Ihave dead battery packs and need to get new batteries for them also.

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Welcome to the forum on which you will find many very competant people ..so dont take offence if I say ....If you need to ask these questions I suggest you dont do it ...first would be to take the old battery out and check what it says on the casing......and then post a picture which does not need a hosting site for this forum ....

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Repacking your own life raft, servicing firefighting gear or self servicing an EPIRB battery , seal and float free may appear to be a good way to save money, but its a fools game.

None of my EPIRBs are permitted to be self serviced and unless things have changed McMurdo EPIRBs must be returned to an authorized service agent, inspected, MMSI matched and certified for use .

Consult your service manual and technical documentation.

http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/doc/82-163-001N Iss 7 Non-GPS EPIRB user manual.pdf

Handheld VHFs have various battery packs...a good radio shop should be able to identify the pack.

4. WickedGood2

WickedGood2 Guest

Its not different than Servicing your own SCUBA Gear or Field Stripping your Weapons to keep them operating a peak performance or tearing down your Engines and rebuilding them when the need arrizes.

A lot of people are just whimpy and afraid of taking apart their Harley just because they paid a lot of money for it. However a Good Engineer knows how to turn a wrench as well as the Applied Physics behind it all.

Yea I may not want to take out my own Appendix but I would not be queasy about trying out new skills on someone elses items.

Be Adventurous and Be willing to try anything. The worst that can happen is that you fail and will have to try again until you suceed. If you die in the process you wont have to woory about it.

[​IMG]

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you service your scuba gear or field strip your gun without knowing what you are doing, it is foolish. People who do that, are trained and usually learn at a school or from other experienced persons. If you had learned from a licensed EPIRB dealer on how to service them, your statement would make sense. Since you don't even know what batteries to use, it doesn't.