Batteries and New Battery Technologies

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Mar 28, 2008.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I am so sorry about that. It was here published a few weeks ago. Must have been Africa at sleep, sorry we were on a safari :) But if it is indeed true that they have already incorporated this to a certain extent into their production, could that be the reason why they are so expensive?
    Bert

2. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

3. masalai

masalai masalai

I think the citizens of USA are starting a buying frenzy for resources anticipating the coming (of the end) economically:p:p

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Super Capacitors again? I am also getting tired not to be able to plan forward. Should get the quote for the 5Ah type "D" LiFePO4 batteries today from China, size 33mm x 61mm. It will be interesting.

Bert

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Bert,
    Enjoying this interesting thread, Thanks...
    Have you considered the "2V" cells offering 25AH as that would give more power with less parallel systems and the 48V packages could be "boxed" and paralleled with cables/bus-bars then replacement or checking would be quite easily manageable, so long as the unit weight was less than 20KG most people would be able to lift out and replace... (or even have the "boxed" units set in parallel and series link the modules to the desired voltage.... (my guess, is that 48V will be most sought-after and amperage the variable, so whatever the market dictates and BMS that will do a reliable and consistent job...

That is the basis I am using for the AGM lead acid batteries for present consideration on my boat, but my module is (55HA 12 V) so 16 batteries in 4 groups... I will have 4 more for 12V ships services and therefore will have up to 3 as swap-over on fail retaining normal operating capacity in the key 48V systems...

I hope I have not missed something critical in sorting the process for my boat - experts have to look and check out all the systems nearer final date....

6. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Yes, that make sense. I have to admit that after the first idee of type "AA" and type "D" batterie in series, and having spend over the Rand 1000 on material , I may have to put it to rest. The idee was noble, but the contact is still a worry. I sprayed 5 batteries with kontakt 390 and put them under the roof for a week, the result is so so. I placed 5 batteries without spraying with kontakt 390 and they are a bunch of oxide. I had to scrape it off with a knife. What I learned from it? Kontakt 390 flipping good stuff, but does not satisfy my needs completely. I have to buy at $ 80 a small jar with conducting paste from RS s/n 186-3616 and forget the hardening resin. But will only learn after months whether it has some disadvantage. My wife is not a structual chemist, and what I know of chemistry is laughable.
    (By the way Lufthansa lost her luggage with her medicine etc. Nothing worst for a woman to sit in a high profile conference in Oporto in Portugal and not having your classy clothing with you. Now after 60 hours still no news and having spent Rand 60,000,- on such trip) (Sorry I am cheecky)

Attached the product.
    Bert

Attached Files:

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Your enthusiasm is to be praised, I hope you achieve what you are seeking...

We now only travel with what we carry on and carry off so "optional extras" are out of the question, but we do not have problems unless we forget to take it:D:D:D buy soap, toothpaste, toothbrush on arrival, and prescription medicine is carried in my pocket, along with a current prescription...

8. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

She had for two days in her handbag, the rest was not allowed.

Yes, I am still optimistic should the costprice for those LiFePO4 be reasonable, I probably will still carry on. If the price like Porta stated is becoming absurd high. Back to deepcharging 12 Volt SLABS at 60AH for USA$ 110 / pc. What did you pay for them, or better said, what are you HOPING to pay for them by the time you need them?

Bert

9. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

he - funny thing bert....

when you were looking for a contact material for your cells i thought almost immediately about the heatpaste used for better heat-distribution between CPU and its heatsink....
    it is silverbased and silver is not only distributing heat efficiently but also very conductive - better than copper actually...
    i did not bring this proposal forward because i thought it was dumb and i do not know the exactly electrical conductive proberties...
    and now you come up with silver based epoxy....

check out the paste because it is cheap and might probably meet your requirements since silver is restitant to any corrosion or other chemical reactions...

10. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Yes, this is the second time it happened this year, but then with another airline only 11 hours late.

I had this, it is white, but it is not electrical conductive only for heat. Well the one I have. Do you have the make and could you test it whether it is electrical conductive?

Bert

11. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

12. masalai

masalai masalai

These batteries were one of the selection on the short list and the price was a killer - saw it and tried to forget it (memory is definitely not reliable), but could have been in the vicinity of AU450........ I do not want to check again till nearer February 2010...

Attached Files:

13. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

It may pay you to buy the 60Ah 12 Volt SLABs from First National Batteries in East London, RSA and have them shipped per seafreight (with the Mercedesses and Volksies Left hand steering) to Australia. I guess you will pay only about $ 60 each for them + freight. I susspect that the import duties are high and you have to import them as boat parts and not as automotive parts.

As soon I see my wife back on Saturday I will ask his name (She did them some favors for laboratory assistance) You could ask him, to ask, cost nothing. You can always for that price buy a few more as reserve.

Bert

14. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I just got the prices from China. I have to find out about the import duties and freight cost. But the price is reasonable.

1) 3/2 D ENERGY TYPE 5AH
    CONTINOUS CURRENT: 5C
    PULSE CURRENT :8C
    Size:33mm*91mm (MAX)
    Price: US$6.25/PC
    MOQ:500pcs

2) D ENERGY TYPE 3.5AH
    CONTINOUS CURRENT: 5C
    PULSE CURRENT 8C
    Size: 33mm X 61mm(MAX)
    Price:US$4.375/PC
    MOQ:500pcs

It means for 3.2 Volt x 5AH x 500 pc = 8 kwh and this for USA$ 3125,- which is reasonable and actually very good. But I don't know the importation cost yet. For the other, it means 720 x 4.375 = $ 3150

a) Rick, CDK, Porta what is your advise should I take 2) or 1) if I can sort that connecting problem out?

b) Am I correct in saying that LiFePO4 batteries cannot be transported by air, because they have a minimum charge in them?

c) for 2) I need more, but it is the real type "D" size. For 1) the lenght is longer and cannot be replaced by a normal "D" type. (except 2 for 3 normal "D" type)

d) Are there others who also like to buy some ?? Maybe we could make a plan and order together ?
    I personally like to buy 200pcs? If there are 3 or 4 others each with a few we could do something together. Yes, I probably could negotiate a smaller quantity, but don't mind considering to pay the transport cost to ship it forwarding to wherever by surface mail, as long it is not more than 4 people. Surface rate in RSA is not that expensive for me. I ship always my timers by surface mail up to 20kg per parcle.
    Bert

15. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Not much difference in the size. A standard package has the advantage it will be used by others but very minor.

My little battery must have come by airfreight because it arrived in about one week.

Rick W

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.