bare fiberglass hull - how to proceed?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by willyd, Mar 31, 2008.

1. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

I'm assuming that the second layer will be laid up on top of the first, while the resin is still wet.[/QUOTE]

All at once, maybe I missed something......I thought you would do a layer: mat/rov then let it kick.
    then do another layer of mat/rov.......etc....

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

man,,i typed,,then,,had to read every damned post again,,hehehe,,man its a big "meds" night,,,,but,,anyways,,,you should be doing all layers at once,,wet out,do a layer,,wet out,,do next layer,,and at same time be doing your next section over, so that everything lays flatter and are better "weaved",,,,i think,,,maybe i missed something or jus "confused",,but im sre the real epoxy dudes,,L.L. and Par,,and all will give ya better experienced advice.

3. willyd

willyd Junior Member

vinylester - barrier coat & final surface

I finally got possession of the boat and sort of did, sort of didn't follow your advice. Vinylester was nearly as low in price as polyester resin, so I went that route. I've put on one layer of 1.5 oz. mat and things went well, except for getting glass fibers all over everything I touched and ruining a pair of jeans that were on their way out, anyway. You all advised me to put back on two layers of mat, but with one layer on it looks pretty close to the old, pre-ground, level.

I read from Zahnisers' site that they put several layers of vinylester as a barrier coat on top of the mat. Is this just straight resin, or is something mixed in?

Also, how to do the last coat - can I just make a surface coat (w/wax or cure it by covering it in plastic), sand this when it's done, then paint? Or should this final coat have fillers mixed in? If so, which ones?