Bandsaw?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by pengreg, Sep 21, 2006.

1. pengreg

pengreg Junior Member

I have this crazy idea that I should start something making beautiful little carvel rowboats. In preparation I think a good bandsaw will be necessary. I have looked at 14'', 19'' and a 28'' cast iron monster. Can anyone comment on a usefull size saw? It will supplement an existing range of small tools including small bandsaw, table saws etc. For boats not more than 18', probably cedar and oak

2. l_boyle

l_boyle ol' can of sardines

Larger bandsaw are nice for re-sawing planks, while smaller 14 incher are good for smaller cutting..
    Grizzly Tools have a good heavy re-saw bandsaw that uses a broad blade up to 2" or 3" wide for re-sawing..
    By the way, you didn't mention what you are going to do with a bandsaw. I were thinking re-sawing, because that what I do for stripper, re-sawn plank into strips, and run them through planer to remove the saw marks, then through shaper to put on cove and bead edges. I use the common size 14" bandsaw for cutting shapes, templates, notching or making tenons...

3. stevel

stevel Lost at sea

I second that

My 14" does ok for resawing most woods AT AN AGONIZINGLY SLOW SPEED, which works for the small amout of resawing that I do. For wooden boat building, I'd want something much larger so that you can get the kind of power that you would need to pick up the pace to something that you can live with.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.