bamboo planks

Discussion in 'Materials' started by adriano, Aug 7, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

There are no such statistics as far as I know. Just go through the steps of production and you do´nt need them.

2. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

All entries I can find for carbon fiber production uses multiple high temperature cooking stages. Bamboo fiber can be done with a fairly minor mechanical process followed by chemical treatments in reusable baths, and then fairly simple pressings.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ja, you are right. And the chemicals are eco friendly and produced by some fresh water and wind???

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

From a physical properties view point bamboo is a crap shoot, unless you can control and harvest the stock, selectively machine and mill it into serviceable stuff, then apply what ever technology you like towards its application in a marine environment.

The problem is the simple physical fact that you can have as much as 100% difference in strength across the culm, plus age and how the material is cut can dramatically affect the physical properties of the material. Without serious controls in place, the best you can ask is it's current usages, which are as a "facing" material.

This coupled with the fact there are over 1,500 different botanical species of bamboo and that it's generally cultivated in areas of the world well known to be less then forthcoming in quality control or honesty in packaging, leaves a fairly dim light cast on bamboo in the foreseeable future.

5. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Luckness,
    In communications like this there is a lot of kind missunderstanding.
    I never been talking about bamboo fibers but ruther about bamboo planks if ever possible to use, that's all about.
    Thanks

6. PAR

I've been talking about bamboo as lumber, not as filler or reinforcement material.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Me too, and I have described the process to make it a useable plank in another thread some time ago. The result: leave it...............

Adriano,
    I have´nt seen a single one! Only the impression that you did not like contradictive results or arguments. Do not ask pro´s when you do´nt like professional answers.

8. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Bamboo material

Very sorry to give you that impression, may be the missunderstandings, If any, are from my side, I am not a professional like you (as you mentioned in prior forum ?!)
    Never been trying to teach anything to anybody but just asked simple questions and " try "to explaining why, hoping to get some opinions, which I am keeping.
    I do not think, otherwise, you expect anybody to take as "gold" straight away
    whatever is being written here, most of the members are unknown and difficult to figure out their background?! So I take their opinions /suggestions for which I am thankful and continue to search. I do not know what is wrong with this!
    All the best
    I am done

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

10. micheleoda

micheleoda izarra-yachts

i believe in bamboo UD veneer

i plan to do a 7 meter sportboat with 3 layers (3mm each) 0°/+45/-45°
    of bamboo slices, plus bi-axis fiberglass (inside), + lamination of thin 0.6mm outiside top + mat 400gr
    undervaccum, glue by epoxy whith bambou microfiber
    i do a trailer boat, So i want a strong and light boat (foam and fiber omegas with one esthetic bamboo UD on top of them)
    deck with balsa sandwich/lamination of bamboo veneer
    with bamboo or corck for deck, mast and boom with bamboo and fiberglas
    UD +45/-45°.

Best regards
    MC

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yes do that!
    Good luck...........................

12. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Bamboo is an excellent structural material that comes as a tube. Sure it's a little lumpy but it has good strength/weight ratio, as is, and is available in a wide range of sizes. It is not easy to cut or bend but it can be done, needs some skill but not much equipment. And that's about it. It's great for stakes, scaffolding and outdoor furniture, and has been made into skin-on-frame boats.

Trying to make a plank out of it is just being silly, or maybe trying to prove a point, or some other doomed thing. Whatever you try to do with it, the further you go from its natural condition the harder the task will become and the less useful the product is likely to be. Unlike timber, the properties of bamboo change rapidly and continually as you penetrate the surface. So you can't make it into ply for a start and whatever else you do with it is going to take a heap of machinery and chemicals.

13. PAR

Actually, you can make planks from bamboo folks. As I mentioned there are a lot of versions of bamboo, some are huge and easily cut into planks.

14. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Thanks
    I appreciate all further notes on Bamboo.
    Indeed I was starting the whole issue based on the fact first that fairly accetable thickness are available from the so called Giant species like Moso etc. and then deal with next step or whatever problem is to be faced.
    Adriano

15. PAR

Again as a core, it offers little benefit in epoxy strip plank construction. As a veneer it has possibilities.