Aspiring boat designer/engineer

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by freesail, Jul 8, 2008.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

It is in my book! But there again I ain't going for a degree in the damn thing! But go tell it to your professor - it'll give 'ee a laugh when he blows a gasket!!(hey you need some entertainment or you'll never get through the damn course!)

2. freesail

freesail Junior Member

I personally prefer Baileys with milk and ice. Never been too much of a whiskey person.

3. safewalrus

Oh I like it! Read what the contents of your Baileys is mate - the alcoholic bit:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

4. freesail

freesail Junior Member

I know its alcoholic :p

Not a 14 year old kid. Oh yeah, Scotch with Dry ginger ale and ice is another good one.

5. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Have to hit the opening in the glass, though.....:p

Normally not a problem, ok, so fluid mechanics solved;

what's next?:?:

6. safewalrus

Try whiskey, whisky, Scotch, baileys alcohol all made the same way out of the same stuff! Your deffinately on the wrong course mate!

7. freesail

freesail Junior Member

I'm not a big drinker.

Ok, educate me!

8. safewalrus

Missy Lee go get this guy into the army he needs edumacating! To thinkan aussie don't understand the difference between whisky or whiskey or baileys is bloody fightening - there ain't much other than location or milk content!

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Leave him alone ya big blubber, he has a lot of time to learn and become an ******** like - - well you know....

10. safewalrus

Yeah but you gotta set im on the right path otherwise he'll spend years wandering in the wilderness - may even become a teeetot-la, nope can't even say it. Sad so very sad!!

11. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

Freesail, I'm in Melbourne. Give me a call and then come and have lunch with me and we can talk about your options and expectations etc.

At the end of second year, I'd recommend looking for work experiance with a boat builder. I spent my first summer break at Seawind Cats and the experiance proved very usefull. When looking for an employee, I believe most design firms would take an aerospace graduate with boat building experiance over a NA graduate who had never left the classroom/office.

12. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

I'm in 3rd yr Civil and I also considered shifting to NA/ME but it's going to be easier for me to work when where and how I want with a civil eng degree.

I did the first 2 years of mechanical and the shifted to Civil (I nearly shifted to NA/ME) makes my degree a year longer but it's worth the hassle, I get much more flexible employment optons and more variety of work. Work experience really showed me I was on the wrong track doing mech as my grades are only credit average and I would have ended up managing maintenance in some dismal industrial site.

The point was well made before that if your interests lie outside of your field of study and you are still an undergrad then shift courses and do it sooner rather than later. You will ALWAYS! be better off.

You might well get a job as an aerospace engineer with boat building experience but as someone already said you will never be anything more than an associate professional when you work out of your qualifying field, and I think you will come to resent that. Our local shipyards continually chase after NA/ME qualified people but turn mech-eng grads away they also pay a much higher salary for the related quals.

I'd back-up a little take another fork in the road and do the NA/ME degree. Which you might find impossible later but very possible now. Oh and dont listen to your fellow students cause they are all justifying their own chosen paths and you will be a threat to them.

The time to act is when you start to have doubts, I wouldn't agree with most of the prior posts telling you to stick it out , go and learn what you are interested in from people who know what they are teaching and you will learn relevant material and start with a much more decent position with more prestige and with lots of contacts (fellow students) ready made.

I'm very glad I changed my course, but it was really hard to do. Unfortunately most of the posters here although with the best of intentions have absolutely no idea of the ramifications of the choices at this stage.

I've been though this myself (I'm 22 now) I didn't say I put my degree on hold, went and worked for a year in various fileds to see where I really wanted to go.

I decided Yachts interested me more than ships and yacht designers are always broke :) I'm qualifying as a Geotech and civil engineer, I'm studying yacht design as a hobby.

13. safewalrus

Well thats it then - appears you got to be 22 to know anything! All those years and I find out they were for nothing, I always thought you had to be 16 to know EVERYTHING! Obviously it's all changed, see Missy Lee we is silly awld men who've been nowhere, done nothing, and know nothing -terrible ain't it..............Sad thing is that one day he'll be old as well (well OK 28) and will then find that he doesn't know anything either - poor guy, how sad

14. freesail

freesail Junior Member

Please check your private messages.

15. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

I don’t understand why you are being so churlish. I took advice from people who knew far better than I or you what the best option was after I was in his shoes recently.

My advice relates to undergrad engineering streams, professional entitlements and industry requirements for full professional standing. This is relevant to my own recent experience. By all means stick an engineering degree out to the end but you can change streams if you become aware that you are on the wrong path.

The crux is what is the experience (yours or mine) relevant to this issue?