aspen as boat building wood

Discussion in 'Materials' started by kerosene, Jun 1, 2007.

1. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Hello,

I would like to hear if anyone has heard of use of aspen in boatbuilding. It seems reather light - pretty strong for its density and plentiful in Finland where I am from and where I will end up.
    I know it dulls tools pretty bad - people say that it sucks up sand - I gues it idoes have high mineral content or something.
    I was thinking of finding a use for it mire like a core material then surface. Coldmolding maybe 3-4 layers and using aspen in the midle - how does taht sound. I doubt that its very rot resistant - back home its used iin sauna seating as it insulates pretty well. At least in that wet/hot environment it seems to hold pretty well - bare wood that is.

numbers:
    a) Density, g/cc b) Density, lbs/cu.ft. c) Modulus of rupture, air dry kg/sq.mm. d) Modulus of elasticity, air dry,

Aspen Populus tremuloides
    a) 0.401 b) 25.03 c) 6.04 d) 838.

compare with cedar for example:
    Cedar, eastern red Juniperus virginiana
    a) 0.492 b) 30.72 c) 6.07 d) 612
    Cedar, northern white Thuja occidentalis
    a) 0.315 b) 19.67 c) 4.56 d) 568
    Cedar, southern white Chamaecyparis thvoides
    a) 0.352 b) 21.98 c) 4.77 d) 655

more from http://www.genetrade.net/main/specinfo/aspen.html

"Natural Durability
    The heartwood is reported to have very little natural resistance to decay in contact with the ground. Standing trees and logs are vulnerable to attack by forest longhorn beetles, and trees may be attacked by wood-boring caterpillars. The sapwood is reported to be seldom attacked by powder-post beetles.

Blunting Effect
    The wood is reported to dull cutting edges slightly.

Cutting Resistance
    Saws tend to bind occasionally during conversion, but cross-cutting and narrow bandsawing operations are reported to be satisfactory.

Planing
    Aspen tends to be woolly and requires very sharp and thin cutting angles for best results in planing and other machining operations. Cutters with reduced sharpness angle have also been recommended.

Gluing
    Gluing qualities are reported to be very good.

Steam Bending
    Aspen is reported to be unsuitable for solid bending since it tends to buckle severely on the concave face. Strapping and end-pressure devices are reported to do very little to improve bending properties."

The last one seems to pose a problem the rest seems pretty good.

2. nero

nero Senior Member

Might work well above the water line.

3. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.