Approval from DNV regarding foundation.

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by cerp, May 5, 2015.

1. cerp

cerp New Member

Hello,
    Does anybody know how DNV gives "approval" for new foundation structure? The foundations for new pumps were changed, but we did not find any rules or standards how we should check it (does somebody know?). I mean such small foundation, there is rule only for foundation as mooring or anchor (under big stress) equipment on deck. Also, in which programs DNV takes results of automatic stress calculations?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If you do not find a special chapter for the item being designed, it is timely to make a direct calculation. What should you look for are the allowable stresses that clasificasción society accepts as a direct calculation.
    Talk with DNV representative in your area.

3. cerp

cerp New Member

Thank you,
    We also think so, but there is possibility that we just did not find the chapter, but it exist. We already made calculation, and would like to ask, may be there is list of software that approved by DNV for calculation? Of course we should ask DNV for this, but may be somebody has advice?

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think there is a software created by the DNV. I do not know if it's free or not.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You simply state the assumptions of what the foundations are for, along with the Class notation and then design to the loads you are imposing upon it. The design allowable stress values are the same as for any structure. Simple.

6. cerp

cerp New Member

Thank you,
    But how DNV believe for our calculation or check it if it was made e.g. in program for 3D modeling?

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You supply them with your data and assumptions. That is all. It's very simple really. But you must first engage with a dialogue with DNV if you are unsure what criteria will be applied, in terms of stress values etc, ask them. Otherwise it is the same as for any other part of the structure that it relates too.

8. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

May I add a reminder to Ad Hoc's sound advice: Please do not forget to include support of piping in the calculations. Piping forces SHALL NOT be carried into the pump flanges, since the housings are prone to elastic deformation, which will jeopardize sealing and bearing functions.

Also check torsional stiffness of Foundation. It must take the full driving torque without causing shaft coupling misalignment.

Too often I find operational trouble emanating from these sources, both in marine and industrial applications!

Last edited: May 6, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.