Anyone familiar with jamestowner houseboats?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by birddseedd, May 13, 2016.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd Junior Member

I'm hoping to look at a 1978 53 (or 55 I think) houseboat. But hoping I can find someone who is familiar with the construction and ill probably have to build a new hull for it. If it can't be repaired. My main questions revolve around gaining access to the frame and hull.

Is the floor removable without removing the cabin?
    Can the boat be lifted by the deck?
    would the cabin have to be lifted by a crane to gain access to the bolts holding the hull on?

thanks for the help.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's not a lot of information available for Jamestown, before 1986 and I don't know of any 1978 models built. The company went belly up around 2004 after being poorly run for a few years, by the new owners, after the father and son team retired around the turn of the century.

Medaris Marine of Russell County were the builders of the popular Jamestowner Houseboats in southeast Kentucky. Dean Medaris was the owner and died a few years ago, though the family might still be of some help, especially the son and brother. Having lived in this area for a few years, I can tell you there's a crap load of houseboat builders and many of them will know of Jamestowners, probably having worked for or competed with them.

The hulls are aluminum and there should be access through the sole in a few locations. If not, it's not a difficult thing to make an access hatch. Making a new hull is a very expensive proposition. Why do you think you need to?

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.