Any good freeware?

Discussion in 'Software' started by fallguy, May 17, 2020.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am trying to get 2d plans into a 3d model we can spin in space and 'build' the boat virtually. Or assemble.

Any good freeware or fairly affordable stuff out there?

This is for a drawn boat. Not a new design.

also, let me know hardware requirements if you know them

my son is a senior in college in ME and I want him to draw my boat into a 3d rendering

thanks

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Rhino is widely used by yacht and small craft designers. Rhino 6 for Windows and Mac https://www.rhino3d.com/ Not free, but your son as a college student in ME can buy a student license for Rhino for $195. The software is exactly the same as the commercial version, the license is perpetual for the current version, and the your son can continue to use Rhino after he graduates. The only difference between a student and regular license other than the cost is a student license cannot be resold. Rhino is available in both Windows and Mac versions.
    Buy - Rhinoceros https://www.rhino3d.com/sales/north-america/United_States

fallguy likes this.
  3. Matthew777

Matthew777 New Member

Your son can also use Fusion360 for free as a student. You can add a 2D drawing and trace the lines using the program.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.