Another major oil spill NZ

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by tom kane, Oct 11, 2011.

1. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

He stood to save a whole 20 seconds or so.:rolleyes:

You sure he was trying to save time?

2. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

Some years ago we had an accident inside Stockholm where a very high pontoon crane ran into one of the bridges and caused expensive damage to the bridge. The captain is a very experieced man who has moved these cranes on the waters inside Stockholm for many years. He new the exact height of the crane and the clearance of every bridge in the area, both according to himself and to all people around him. He wasn't tired or under stress. He still tried to pass under a bridge where he new the clearance was several meters too small.

His explanation was approximately: "I stopped thinking."

When safety depends on single humans always making the right decisions, accidents will eventually happen.

Erik

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well if no one lives there does it matter, I mean its not liken it was inhabited or had a tourist industry. Im sure thats how these things are worked out , lets face it money is not freely available, no point crying over spilt milk.

Sure go ahead and build gallows and hang some one if it makes people feel better.

The sea is very resilient and it WILL survive and especially with rough weather there it will be broken up in no time.

I watch BBC every day --never heard about this I guess thats why, no one there but sheep.

4. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Maybe, ...but they'r good looking sheep!
    ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.