anodised aluminum corner posts

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Steve W, Aug 30, 2017.

  1. Steve W
    Joined: Jul 2004
    Posts: 1,824
    Likes: 63, Points: 48, Legacy Rep: 608
    Location: Duluth, Minnesota

    Steve W Senior Member

    I was just replacing a window on a mid 80's C&C and was reminded of a few details they used to make it easier to assemble an interior that I always liked. The use of the above mentioned extrusion that 1/2" plywood just slots into to make a nice clean 90 degree corner with a nice radius use either horizontally or vertically is of particular interest as I'm sure it was not a propriety product so I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with this and would know where to buy. They also used a cast aluminum anodized corner for countertop fiddles which may have been propriety.

  2. jorgepease
    Joined: Feb 2012
    Posts: 1,620
    Likes: 49, Points: 48, Legacy Rep: 75
    Location: Florida

    jorgepease Senior Member

  3. PAR
    Joined: Nov 2003
    Posts: 19,133
    Likes: 488, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 3967
    Location: Eustis, FL

    PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

    I'm not sure of the shape you're talking about, but if you can justify the cost of a set of dies, you can have pretty much anything you want. I used to use a section that was originally designed for the windshield of a dune buggy. It was a round extrusion with a couple of parallel flanges, which accepted a 3/8" thick hunk of laminated glass. We used it as a plywood edge seal for cutouts, bulkheads, etc., to finish things off. It bent well, usually was anodized, though could be painted and it fit over 1/4" plywood and we used a strip of cork to act as a weather seal, between the plywood and the extrusion. Do you have a sectional shape image?
  4. gonzo
    Joined: Aug 2002
    Posts: 15,444
    Likes: 1,013, Points: 123, Legacy Rep: 2031
    Location: Milwaukee, WI

    gonzo Senior Member

    You may also try T-Slots

  5. Steve W
    Joined: Jul 2004
    Posts: 1,824
    Likes: 63, Points: 48, Legacy Rep: 608
    Location: Duluth, Minnesota

    Steve W Senior Member

    We have all made vertical corner posts for making a 90 degree corner with maybe a 1" outside radius out of teak for a cabinet or settee corner with plywood fronts. That's what I'm talking about, except with the extrusion that C&C used they just slid the plywood into the recess, and they still look like new 30 years on. These days i just rout out the back of the plywood or whatever cored panel i may be using most of the way through, bend it into a form and and glass the inside. I don't have any particular project in mind. Just wouldn't mind finding a source for the extrusion.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.