An aircraft carrier and a plane

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

How difficult or even possible is it to spot point a laser into the left hand seat of a descending jet from a thousand plus mtrs in full daylight.
    Night time you can very easily see your spot, how about in daylight - accurate with hand held laser at that distance with no reference :confused:.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Hoytedow - Each of the links you posted mentioned being laser targeted at night, the USCG report didn't specify the time of attacks.-

My Q was is it possible to successfully aim & hit a moving approaching target in bright daylight as when the B777 was landing when the beam/spot would be invisible.
    I tried using my aligning laser inside the length of 100m long warehouse in daylight and couldn't find the spot with binocs. Maybe its possible if the laser was tripod mounted with a top quality electronic rifle scope sight.

4. hoytedow

You would have a good chance of aiming with the laser mounted on a wooden board if you practice with it first. Even in daylight once you know the "iron" sights are aligned you can be pretty sure the laser is in the right place even if you can't see the dot itself.

At distance the dot isn't so small but could cover a much wider area than one would imagine due to atmospheric refraction and beam deflection by particulate matter.

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I'm surprised the PIC was not certified.

"Bright light" Maybe they are setting up a "Lazer light" defense?

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

How does a bright light affect aircraft velocity ? Does it bounce off the eyes onto the throttles ?

7. hoytedow

It might disorient the crew to the point that their performance is impaired.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yeah, I can see that. Whenever I get a hi beam from another car, my hand automatically changes to 2nd gear.

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It is almost inconceivable that a large commercial airliner could get the approach height that wrong in this day and age. You'd think all sorts of cabin alarms would be activated, even if the pilots had somehow failed to notice they were way too low.

10. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I just got off the phone with a retired A.F. Bird who was the last Wing Commander of the SR-71 Blackbird squadron at Beal AFB in Northern Calif. We got talking about the San Francisco Boeing 777 crash and his info was that the plane at 200' was 30 mph below landing speed and they are lucky it did not fall out of the sky killing everyone.
    He said it was the grossest pilot error he has ever seen and every alarm in the plane must have been going off. " Always know your speed and elevation when landing no matter what is the most basic rule in flying. I cannot even imagine what they were doing or thinking". Just luck that the engines spooled up enough to give them some power to reach the runway. Horrable pilot (pilot's) error, and absolutly no reason for it and they should all lose their licenses. Stan

11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

That is very easy.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

The government turned off the flight path indicator beacon for 'service.'

The pilots were flying on auto pilot. By the time the second in seniority got the guts to inform his elder of the mistake, it was too late.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

A laser can fill the eye(s) with light, and temporary blindness, the pilots said the laser beam was not an issue in this case. Or, in my case permanent scar tissue. I do not like idiots playing with lasers.

Hoytedow,

Military? That is interesting? How did they determine that?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.