Americans are the world leaders in high speed boat safety

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FranklinRatliff, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Water conditions would be more variable offshore which would tend to interact with any active stability system, with unpredictable results under certain conditions.

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

could be because it is boring, quite often i see american boat races on the tv, i would rather watch yachts match racing any day, far more excitement, especially those big cats.

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I am a Waussie, I am Australian, I like to go fast slowly(sail), I like that Australia II & her Crew won the Americas Cup in 83, I like that Ken Warby still holds the World Water Speed Record, I like that one of my customers no longer races a vintage hydro, I like that I no longer work on it, I like that he now races a closed hydro with a capsule instead, I like that he has a child, I like that safety is important, I like that people are interested.

4. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Would that be a capsule similar to that developed by Chris Hodges (an Englishman) in the mid eighties,after the death of Tom Percival?

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Franklin I gather that you are a speed enthusiast. I reckon that you are aware of the tragedy at the Key West races this week end. A go fast super boat blew over and killed both occupants. Do you suppose that the wing safety device was not working so well?

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

FranklinRatliff, did you start this thread just to start a fight? What's with calling the Aussies wussies? Go live there for a year and see how you fare. The wildlife alone is enough to end you if you aren't tough and bright.

http://www.australianfauna.com/t10dangerous.php

and that partial list is before you even get to the ants and wasps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_thoOeQw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wtaVGiBVc

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Franklin- it's not the topic, it's that boastful attitude of the few that sours the worlds view of the majority of the great people of the U.S.. You do a disservice by boasting, be proud yes but be humble in success, and it is a great successful nation that you live in, but not the only one on earth. All children nations of the former British Empire have been, are and most likely will continue to be the most successful and inventive nations on earth. It's the instilled democratic freedom seed that was planted by the revolutionaries of the the English and French Civil Wars which created these progressive countries. It continues to serve them well today and heaven help them that invades either.

8. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

Big cats are just ONE form of high speed American boat racing.

9. FranklinRatliff

It is still a simple fact that American constructors are the world leaders in high speed boat safety.

10. FranklinRatliff

I suppose I would like to actually know details about that boat and the interior of the cockpit.

Aside from the fact the big offshore cats don't use wings, I have more than once wondered about the advisability of a configuration where all the crew sit side by side under one big canopy.

11. FranklinRatliff

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Being an American i too am proud that such leading edge technology is being played with here for the employment created by the spin off industries. I look at it more as a further progression of the world wide sport, another notch in the wheel so to say, similar to the Winged Keel in sail boat racing,the RR Merlin Engine in the Mustang, the Avro Arrow technology in the space program and all modern jet fighters today. Certain nations start the technology and other nations progress it to the next step.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

That might well be true, but you still come across as somewhat of a braggard, which reinforces the prejudices that some in other countries already hold with regard to Americans. Tone down the jingoist tone and more people around the globe might take what you have to say seriously, IMHO.

14. FranklinRatliff

No brag. Just fact.

15. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

It seems you transmit, but don't receive too well, a trait that is not that uncommon amongst your fellow countrymen.

If you made the effort to read my post you would have noted the very first phrase, which was "That may well be true".

You come over as an uncouth braggart, who simply posts to extol the dubious virtues of his own nation. It undermines the credibility of what you say, because many around the globe will find your tone jarring and more than slightly offensive.

You remind me of an American boy I went to school with 50 odd years ago. His father was a sergeant in the USAF, and this boy did nothing but boast all day, every day, about how swell/big/great everything American was. I formed an intense dislike of Americans for years based on that experience, and took all that anyone with an American accent had to say as being probably untrue, or at best a wild exaggeration, until I had occasion to work in the USA for a time and discover that there were some decent folk there who were more polite and less offensively jingoistic.