Amateur boat building in South Africa

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

It is quite unbelievable to see how few guys are building a boat. Everywhere i go for wood - epoxy - glass - boat fittings - anything boat - when i tell them i am building a boat they look at me like i am from outer space.

If it wasn't for this forum i would have thought i am totally alone.

Cant we somehow get some of our sailing / boating clubs involved somehow on small dad and son projects - anything - small skiffs - anything !!!

Are we ever going to see "Duckworks" style fun days - or am i doomed to walk around like a single lost fart.

Now that my minicat is taking shape and my childrens friends parents come to look - i have to just shake my head - they honestly think it is rocket science. When i tell them that they could do it - all that they have to do is try - the standard answer is = oh no not me i am not that clever.

could there ever be a solution???

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

And just to add to that

if there is anybody interested in starting a small building project in the Centurion / Pretoria area i will help where and when i can free of charge - just buy a couple of beers

i can help you to get good stuff at good prices

i am not here to build your boat - but when you get stuck you can come and see what i did :D

how about building a little PD racer???

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hey Manie,

I'll tell you why nobody is building boats in SA.

Arogant, lazy, comfortable and stupid. I've asked the guys in our club before, they don't have time (they watch TV for 5 hours every night), they don't have a mold (and isn't going to find one), they will rather pay through their necks (and then complain bitterly about the monthly payment). They also think they cannot do it and they are right, they cannot, half are just too stupid because they want to be too stupid most of the time.

I always say there are things money just cannot buy.

What pisses me off something awefull is when some dumb schmuck comes here and tells me how luck I am to have what I have.

I tell them there is just one huge drawback. I don't know what's on TV. Most of the time they don't get it, which makes sense :D

SA has a particularly interesting setup. The philamons that sits on the street corners all becomes builders when the bakkie stops there and is looking for someone to build a brick wall. Name any one trade, if you look for that then that is what they are. These guys must be really talented, I just cannot see why unemployment is an issue here.

If you think the guy in the shop knows anything, then think again. He has an IQ of 60 and doesn't know anything about nothing, same as the guy on the street corner. You must tell him or her what you want, then make doubly sure you are going to get what you order.

I ordered some 316 SS laser cutting from laserfox, they cut me cr12 instead, when I sent it back because it is rusting, they cut the correct material, but made me pay for both the materials. So I'm returning the favour here and everywhere I go, don't have work done by them.

Anyway, sorry my daily rant :rolleyes:

One other thing. People want instant success with everything. Few are willing to walk the distance over time and have something. If they cannot do it in a weekend, they give up.

In the case of boatbuilding, most are scared they are going to itch from the glassfiber. They itch just talking about it.

And then there's the association with boat prices

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

A little 10m one ?

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

exactly why I went small now....

Manie, Fanie, Butch and others here in Japieland; why don't we do something about it?
    Between us we can design something really small, big fun and that is dirt cheap. We build her out of GRP, sell the hull, deck, seat etc moldings as a kit that only needs a few rivets and a little bit of fibreglass tape to put together. The DIY builder will have a boat HE had built in a few hours flat and that will get them building and sailing.:cool:

If Im not wrong, we do live in an instant world; instant coffee, milk, foods, mash potatoes, noodles, soup, sex and need I go one? Why not an instant boat:?: :D

6. Wynand N

Manie, I can use your help for sure, just name your poison:D :D I will get it by the crate:cool:

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Good idea Wynand.

I for one am very frustrated by some thing here by us, as you probably heard from Manie too.

You cannot believe how many people on the dam came by to see my little tri, half of them wanted to know what it was. Even the guys in sailboats asked.

Disgusting for boaters but then it's a good indication that there is a market for these things. I'm sure that if you get people to experience a trip then you will be selling some.

One of my friends bought himself a small tri for the following reasons -
    he feels safe in it
    it is said to be unsinkable
    it sails easily
    it was affordable
    it is fun to sail it
    a boat is an investment

If you want to sell kits, consider different stages of completion. Some will want to buy a complete sail away rig, others will want to do most of the work themselves.

Not too small please. The moment the wife cannot go with or gets wet the poor husband is on his own.

I have another idea as well that may be a good seller. E-mail me at fanie<at>faze.co.za and I'll explain.

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Well guys i can see that i am not the only one shaking my head.

Now that my hull and decks are coming together i am looking around for rigging components etc.

Now this is where the **** hits the fan, small simple components are waaaaay overpriced - so the solution is simple = i will get the stuff made up myself, i have come this far so might as well continue.

Fanie you have put it rather well - correct old chap - nailed it on the head.

Wynand next year when you bring your new boat to the dam we can breakfast at Dick Manten - drink at Bayshore Marina and then go and show the fellas how to race a Pennant 9 :D :D :D i ahve aleady started to spread the word here of the new 6m

At Pennant9 we may see some other boats however for most of our time on the water we could be alone = very peacefull. That will be the time when we will explore new ideas, i have a number as i am sure you have too.

Wynand please send me your cell no -to monica@mweb.co.za i would love to phone you one weekend and if both of us can make it i would love to take a trip down to you, and while you are at it a simple map and directions of the easiest route from Centurion

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

EH !!! WHo's your 'old chap' :( At least I don't call myself 'monica' after hours :D

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

This is how i could help

I am no expert but i can model a hull - round bilge or hard chine to your sizes - export to CAD and give you sizes to make your frames etc.

If you dont have a computer or CAD dont worry i can give it to you as PDF and Word documents

Wynand i did this very ruff modelling based on your Lightning6 and it is surprising how well the figures came out for hard chine. I did the modelling as a 5 panel hull which seems to be popular with Bateau. I obviously enjoy building in a frame - it has a lot of advantages. I dont like "origami" style stitch and glue - the whole thing wobbles too much and becomes inaccurate.

Anyway enjoy :D :D :D

Attached Files:

11. Wynand N

Nice drawings Manie.

Manie, ek het you email by my kantoor vergeet en is die naweek af en sal dit eers Maandag weer kan kry. Will jou graag bel, wil jy nie asb weer vir my jou nommers ens stuur na my persoonlike email; nortje1@telkomsa.net.

Sorry about that, just a little something between Manie and myself in our beloved Japie lingo:D

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

No sweat just gonna do this post then i'm on the line

when i saw these pics i thought wow we should be doing this

its cute

its fun

its cheap

so i could give free drawings showing line offsets and as many sizes as you wish

ZAR 1k for ply and epoxy and you are on the water !!!
    lets see if we can get something going in deepest darkest africa

go to this website it a whole lot of fun

http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/

Attached Files:

• 2m row pdf.PDF
      2m row pdf.PDF
      File size:
      128.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      24.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      13.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  13. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Manie, I hope you are progressing with your escape plans (Oops hope that does not let the cat out of the bag)....

Hope to meet you at sea one day for a beer or 3 or some rough red - whatever is at hand.... May your preferred deity bless your efforts....

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Mas

as you see i am still at it

whatever you do after you have sold your houses DO NOT buy macmansion - as you know i am in construction - its a stuff-up and will be so world wide for many years to come

build your boat and go and live on it - take the rest and invest in small easily rentable property AND LIVE.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

The McMansion is the dream of "she-who-must-be-obeyed" but there is the possibility of a workaround :D:D:D:D until events make her see the light....l

Just hope we can move before total collapse

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.