Aluminum Zap Cat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by riskmore, May 12, 2018.

1. riskmore

riskmore Junior Member

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 2.04.31 PM.png
    As a yacht tender and super toy I love my 4.1m inflatable tunnel hull with 50hp Tohatsu 2 cycle. Total dry weight 300lb. Surface piercing prop with dampener and torque spring on the tiller. With beach wheels one guy can lug it up the sand and having a wash thru transom launching through big surf is easy.

Problem is the PVC fabric has a short life in the tropics and even when new I wish it was stiffer. A more rigid connection to the floorboard is the first improvement I want. Rather than having a new inflatable flow to Peru from South Africa I'm considering building with Aluminum.

Ready to start bending an welding but not having plans I'm considering just copying the inflatable shape but the curves would be difficult and I suppose less efficient than conventional metal forms. Performance models seem to have a lot of lifting strakes also.

Here is a simple hull shape. Would asymmetrical be better?
    Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 2.06.27 PM.png
    Any reference or design guidelines would be appreciated.

2. IronPrice

IronPrice Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.