Aluminum Jon boat plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Matt F., Jan 20, 2003.

1. trouty

trouty Guest

Oh yes Plans

I think the pics that went missing from my first post may have been the plans for this 16ft alloy V bottom johnboat.

Attached Files:

2. trouty

trouty Guest

Another

Plan -

Attached Files:

3. trouty

trouty Guest

And one last one

showing the broad outline of how the pieces go together once released from their parent sheet bye cutting the tabs that hold it in place..

You get a step bye step guide booklet that tells you what to do and in what order, as well as another book that tells you all about the welding process and what your aiming to achieve in terms of a decent weld.

Also you get all the info you need on electrolysis protection painting wiring etc etc the hull.

Pretty complete KIT really - about the only things I had to go back to the designer / naval architect for, were some Australian Standards as to Max HP (for survey purposes) and some "ullage" (Hull underfloor volume) calcs, so I could figure out how much flotation foam I could get under there and what positive bouyancy that would generate (Again for commercial passenger survey purposes).

Cheers!

Attached Files:

4. EmilSB

EmilSB Junior Member

Hi Matt F. ,
    If you want free hull lines for this kind of powerboat contact me and I will send you a 3D dxf files.
    EmilSB.
    www.sultanemanuel.hotmail.com

5. trouty

trouty Guest

I probably

should have added another post to this thread, about the Australian Standards that apply to powering such a vessel.

It's importanrt not to overpower any vessel and thats what the standards are there for.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

6. trouty

trouty Guest

Knowing

that 60 Hp is the max you can get on a 16 ft alloy boat, you have to start to wonder how a manufacturer can get away then with putting 200 horses on the back of a similar vessel?

This one has me scratching my head - how the heck did they get away with that? :confused:

Cheers!

Attached Files:

7. trouty

trouty Guest

Seems to get along alright..

From this it seems like it gets along alright.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

8. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Trouty,

The above standard AS 1799 is not a commercial vessel standard and does not apply to survey vessels. In the abscence of a fixed standard for this type of commercial boat, your NA has given you a guide that offers some legal protection to the both of you. In fact, there is very little required to sell a recreational vessel in OZ that is mandatory. Hence the large hp on ski boats etc.

Brett

9. trouty

trouty Guest

Hmmm thats got me thinking then

I wonder how many horsepower I can get away with on one a these?

Attached Files:

10. trouty

trouty Guest

Then again

It mightn't be a bad idea if i conduct a few stability tests before I get too carried away!:D

Attached Files:

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Then

12. trouty

trouty Guest

And

Did I miss something Guest?

A question maybe, to follow the quote?

Oh well - Cheers!

13. PAUL CLARK

PAUL CLARK Guest

Va. Bass Fisherman

MATT,,, LOWE BOATS MANUFACTURES ALUNIMUMN BOATS IN 12-16 FOOT LENGHTS,,BEGINNING PRICE RANGE $548.00 W/O SHIPPING OR TAXES. HARD TO BEAT THEIR PRICES AND CONSTRUCTION. PLYWOOD IS THE USUAL MATERIAL THAT HOMEOWNERS USE,,, BUT IS VERY HEAVY,,TENDS TO ROTT.YARD SALES FOR USED FLAT BOTTOM JOHN BOATS,, AVERAGE $100.00 BUT GET A BILL OF SALE TO VERIFY FOR REGISTRATION IF YOU WANT TO USE ANY POWER OTHER THAN OARS. THESE SIMPLE BOATS ARE OK IN CALM WATERS OR PROTECTED RESERVIORS. SHALLOW SIDEWALLS MADE IT HARD ON YOU IN RIVERS OR IN WIND. V-HULLS ,SEMI-V-HULLS EVEN IN FLAT BOTTOM DESIGN, ARE BETTER IN BIGGER WATERS. HP NEEDS ARE GENERLY 3 HP-10HP. ON MOST SMALL LAKES AND RESERVIORS, IF THEY ALLOW GAS ENGINES. MANY ONLY ALLOW ELECTRIC TROLLING MOTORS.IF A FISH OR BAIT LIVEWELL IS DESIRED BETTER LOOK TO A LARGER BOAT DESIGN, FOR WEIGHT CAPACTITY NEEDS OVER 700 LBS. THATS YOU+YOUR GUEST+ YOUR TACKLE+YOUR COOLER, BATTERIES,MOTORS AND YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT. A USED 12FT. JOHNBOAT, CAN BE CONFIGURED FOR TWO PEOPLE, WITH 3 HP GAS ENGINE AND A ELECTRIC TROLLING MOTOR, CARPETED FLOORS, TWO BATTERIES FOR YOUR ELECTRIC NEEDS TO INCLUDE INTERIOR LITING, EXTERIOR LITING FOR NAVAGATIONAL NEEDS, FISH FINDERS AS IN (2) , AND AN ELECTRIC ANCHOR TO MAKE YOUR STOPPING IN COVES AS QUIET AS POSSIBLE.RAISED BASS SEATS, CAN BE INSTALLED BUT A WORD OF CAUTION THERE( A NARROW BOAT WITH SMALL WIDETH CAN ROLL OVER EASILY,, WHEN YOU ELEVATE YOUR CENTER OF GRAVATIY, IN A RAISED BASS SEAT,,, ESPECIALLY IF YOU STAND UP JUMPING AROUND TO LAND A BIG ONE,,,) IF THIS INFO CAN HELP YOU THEN I AM GLAD,,, IF YOU MAY WISH OTHER IDEAS, OR INFO THAT I MAY IMPART TO YOU ,, YOU MAY REACH ME THRU (pshortchaser69@aol.com).much of the info. i have offered is first hand mistakes, that i have corrected over the years, in my small boat that is used alot all summer long. good luck in your search for your boat.

14. jprev

jprev Junior Member

I've got a question...

Maybe off topic just a bit... :?: The aluminum boat that had the 25HP outboard on it originally, how long is that boat and what is the weight? I would have thought a 16' or so aluminum skiff with a good running 25 would plane rather easily and a 50HP would make it rather overpowered.

Second question, talking with some welding buddies of mine about welding speed on 3/16" aluminum, I hear ranges from 12" to 18" per minute of actual weld time. Actual weld time is the time the bead is being laid and not including off time allowing material to cool, working within the operating (duty) cycle of the mig machine, or back welding.

Would you guys think a good welder could lay down 12" to 18" per minute? That would also be under good working conditions. Not upside down or anything.

Thanks,

Joe

15. trouty

trouty Guest

Sorry Joe

4 months later I spotted your question when I was reading back thru an old thread looking for something else.

In answer to your question.

Yes - a 16 ft (4.85meter) 14degree deadrise v nosed barramundi punt we would call it.

It has a 3mm alloy floor in it.

All up with the 50 HP outboard it weighs a LOT more than you might think - like a full 1 tonne (1000 kilos, or ~2250 pounds).

The 3mm marine grade plate in the kit alone weighs 300 kilos.

If you run that vessel lightship (minimal gear) then yes a 25 HP is ample and when fiorst buolt I ran her for a year or more with 25 ponies -including some relaticely long offshore islands runs of up to 38 Nm in one leg - 24 in another and about 40 in yet another. (I was in company of another vessel tho).

The rason for the 50 is the weight the vessel gained with the timber console gear locker thwart seat, flotation foam additional 5 gal tank, 3 batterys electroc troller and all the fly gear I cart while on charter.

All that gear was required to achieve a comemrcial passenger survey cert from Govt transport authorities (along with epirbs and fkares radio sat phone charts etc etc etc etc..

All that weight was what ended up reqwuiring the larger HP.

I don't find her overpowered now for her weight. She usually carries 4 people (including me) and is surveyed for same.

I do agree that lightship with 50 ponies she would be a real handfull especially in it's current tiller steer configuration.

Then again the 16 ft Punt I posted painted white has 200 ponies on basically the same hullform.(go figure). Rumour has it she was written off douing 70MPH around a bend in Australia's northern territories East Alligator river.

According to the story I heard, the vessel flipped and cartwheeled - hit a riverside melalueca tree (paperbark) 15 ft above waterlevel and remains there permanently bent ibto a boomerang "U" shape around the trunk ina crock infested part of the river making salvage a bit problematic.

I did hear the engione was recovered and that passengers survived the crocks due to the speed bouncing them across the water up the bank some meters beyond the waters edge (and crock territory).

Apparently not without a few broken bones all round!.

As to weld data. Backstictch weld, 2 inches at a time with a two inch space - come back and infill when cold....do alternate sides in lenths of about a foot at a time - which means I doubt you'd acieve 18 inches a minute - I don't think we did...but I never timed it.

The 16 ft Kit took us about 40 hours all up. (spread part time over weekends and weeknights for 3 weeks). We tried 0.9mm wire but ended up using 1.2 mm dia wire - it just welded better. From memory we probably used some 2 odd kilometers of wire, and 2 x 90 pound? argon bottles of gas...(not sure of their size, bout the same as a big oxy acetylene bottles, say 4 ft tall?).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.