Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

You'd know much better than me but if indeed your out on the brine, would duct tape work well for such repairs? I really haven't had experience of duct tape adhesive in salt water. I know in fresh you can tape then hand smear latex or silicone over to seal it in. was in a lake, but a body of mine did that once on an outboards fin, lasted the weekend even.

Barry

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Duct tape will work on smashed car fenders, motorcycle fairings and such like but on a driving through water hydrofoil, nyet, would be immediate let go.
    Interestingly the patched up with carbon foil that broke was the one flying clear - but when the large ship wake came through, it was that foil smashing down onto solid water that caused the second break. The leeward and working foil survived. Having said that, the beach repairs I knew were temporary to maybe okay - but obviously not good enough. Still, I made it home.

3. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Gotcha! So good for cobra helicopter blades but not boats! So it duct tape does have limits! Haha kinda reminds me of a fishing trip when I was young. Me and my dad went down to Mexico and were in the middle of nowhere when the car of the men transporting us dropped a drive line. We thought uh oh! Sure enough they climbed under with a wet blanket and spun it like a rope, tied it to the yokes and off we went. I remember pushing the car backwards to tighten it up, and the occasional lag if he let of gas till it wound up again! Haha

4. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

catri 25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI6bgv_-Nqc
    I was watching this video of the new catri 25 from latvia. I appeares to have a stabilising foil on the end of each wave piercing ama instead of on the rudder like Gary's Sid. The lifting foil is far forward. The stabilising foil seams to be ajustable for height and angle of attack. The outboard mount is right on the back of the rudder. I am not sure I like this feature. It puts the weight as far back as possible. An interesting boat. This is the second video, the first shows that the lifting foils can be lowered and retracted from the cockpit. It looks like they used the cockpit well space for a rear berth and the seating is on raised seats along the sides and back of the cockpit. looks like fun.
    nelson

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Neat boat.
    I was amazed when I saw the main foil placement on the giant AC72's being at or close to near central - because I always thought you needed them further forward, like the Catri and many others plus my own stuff, to reduce the chance of tip trucking the nose in. I even raked the main beam forward and placed the main foils forward of the beam/float junction to counter this - a situation which kind of frightened me. But seems to be okay at central even though the big guys did stick their bows under at times. Saved by secret automatic foil articulation and/or hard grinding crew?
    The inverted V foils on the Catri's float transoms would definitely keep the platform steady and level. Always liked this boat. But there is some drag with the windward foil because of the anhedral beam design. Mine are the opposite with dihedral ... but then the boat can rock side to side when moored. Which can be annoying too.

6. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

We can lean the mast over to keep it more vertical when the boat heals. Why not pivot the beams up and down instead and keep the main hull vertical. When at rest drop the beams down to the water for no more rocking. If sea stays are used the beams are under compression and could pivot up or down. If I understand things correctly. Instead of ending the shrouds and sea stays at the ama, maybe end them at a link chain on a sprocket, then the ama could move up or down without adjusting the shrouds and stays independantly. Gets a little more complicated but might work. Just a thought.
    nelson

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Heh! Heh!, It might work just when you didn't want it to. :eek:

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Canting the mast is much easier than adjusting the boats geometry. Most mast canting systems on smaller boats are just a couple of blocks.

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Pre-modern trimaran

How's this for an alternative to the marvellous Buccaneer 24?

Attached Files:

11. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

But are the beams infused carbon ? ;)

12. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

No but its fans are enthused carbon based lifeforms.

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Carbon Based Lifeforms :eek:
    Don't forget we are entering the sixth "ELE". (Extinction Level Event.) :rolleyes:

14. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Now that is a version of carbon scrubbing I don't want to contemplate.....

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Question:- "But are the beams infused carbon"?
    No, but the Amas are surely "Wave Piercing" :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.