Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Reminds me of gig harbor, so beautiful up there.

Barry

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Here's a NZ Xmas/New Year present for you Northern hemisphere people: superb flowering pohutukawa - and semi-superb Groucho - needs the rig erected, will do so in a couple of days. Cheers.

Attached Files:

3. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Cruel Gary, just cruel, but your days of winter will come while we bask in the sun....actually we do get breaks in the gloom, this was a week or so ago.

South of Gig Harbor Marmoset, went in there during the summer and couldn't believe the amount of stand up board paddlers about, very crowded these days.

Attached Files:

4. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Yeah it's downright crowded there now! When the poodle dog and the hob nob closed is about when I stopped going up there. Not cause of that! Just was around that time.

Barry

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Never knew those spots...haven't stopped there in years, usually we anchor somewhere in Colvos Passage or Quartermaster Harbor to be further away from the Narrows. Tides Tavern is still there with a full dock. We were the widest boat there, going in and out we kept a ama just off the beach at the narrow entrance to make more room for the assorted ski boats, kayaks, cruisers and paddleboards.

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Getting back to the Thread -
    I have now got an all in one printer, copier, scanner with wi/fi, so As soon as I figure out how to use it I can put up pics of the Crowther Typhoons foam/ glass wing mast construction. :D

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Congrats OS

I am on my third all in one printer- watch out for lightning :mad: It gets its little mind scrambled pretty easily. Mine has fax, and the phone line in seems to be the most vulnerable. I now keep it un-plugged during storms.
    The mast details sound interesting :)
    B

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thanks for the tip bruce. :D

9. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

dihedral angle of floats

I have been thinking about adding lifting foils to Jacque's trailer tri. I realised that the trailer tri doesn't have any dihedral angle of the floats like Sid does. The trailer tri as drawn has both floats just touching the water at rest. Only when sailing does the windward float clear the water. If a lifting foil is used it would raise the lee float and start dipping the windward float in. All this would depend on size of foil and speed. Maybe the only use for the lifting foil would be to keep the lee float from submerging under gusty conditions. I seems to me to be a balancing act between too much lift and too much drag.
    Thoughts anyone?
    nelson

10. Gary Baigent

If you put an inverted T foil (does not have to be very large) on your rudder then that, along with your float foils, will lift the boat, not clear of the water because the Farrier (if that is the trailer tri you have) is too heavy - but will definitely lift it so the windward float and foil remain clear ... most of the time. Disadvantage: in light airs a little more drag but then you lift the float foils. Advantage: the T rudder will reduce pitching ... also save your arse if you bury the bows in extreme conditions.

11. santacruz58

inverted T foil

I see. I knew that you got lift on your rudder on Sid but I didn't know how much it contributed. Then I take it that the rudder foil on Sid is asymetrical. But how is that going to work on Jacques boat with his float mounted rudders?

I have been wondering about your Cox's Bay Skimmer, did you use foils on the dagger and rudder?
    nelson

12. Gary Baigent

Jacques is still at the stage of finishing increased buoyancy forward on main hull (because of his singlehanding tacking problems in fresh wind - needs two crew in the cockpit to lift bow) but next stage is attaching the L section to his asymmetric float daggers - and then dump the ridiculously heavy and fixed mast - and then think about asymmetric T addition to his rudders. There is no problem with horizontal or near horizontal or even shallow V lifting foil areas on rudders or daggers ... you just lift them up as per normal so they rest against the hull bottoms when moored in shallow waters.
    No, no lifting foils on the Skimmer ... but have thought of DSS - but only a silly thought; too complicated for an 18 foot boat.

13. Gary Baigent

Here in NZ the weather is heavenly, sublime, tide range only 2.8 metres today; went sailing on Sid, good breeze and neat sailing but then it switched off - but Sid continued to move. Kind of magical. Looks like we're stationary in the photograph but check out that silent and slim stern wave, ghosting along. Got back to the bay long before the tide went out. Just thought I'd let you know how life is here in the Southern Antipodes.

Attached Files:

14. santacruz58

Nice to see you are having good weather. It is -14C this morning.
    nelson

15. Gary Baigent

Interesting solo sailing times on Groucho, some negatives, a few positives. The negatives: carrying too much sail, sailing too fast ... and smashing the foils. So had to work the high tides at Anzac Bay, Waiheke Island while undertaking make-do repairs (had some carbon and epoxy along for such "inevitables") ... which lasted okay on one foil - but inadequate on the other which got snapped again on the way home. This was the windward foil which smashed down when crossing a ferry wake. So sailed along with the broken foil twisting and hanging by a few carbon threads - like a bird with a broken wing.
    So new construction required and obviously with considerably more carbon laminates; maybe even solid in the hard point areas where the foil exits the float.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.