Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Couple of shots. Unfortunately the best ones would be on the wind when the apparent wind just leaps up and Sid requires all attention - too busy (singlehanding) to take photographs ... so this is all I can offer. Later there was aloud bang while beating, eased main off immediately, looked around but could see nothing broken or any flexing - and after returning to mooring, gave Sid a thorough search but all I could find was a slight crack at the foil case exit. A little water inside so I''ll grind the exit back and lay some carbon inside the lip and over onto the outside of the float; should have done this in the first place.

Attached Files:

2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

tasks

Gary, your audience is waiting- grow another arm and hand for the camera (a light one) and get us some photos. :D Are you suggesting Sid might be more than a (two) handful? I am so jealous:cool: B

3. Gary Baigent

There have been a few queries about a "sensible" Sid, so I've been slightly changing my ideas with the main hull of 3 Devils; more flare at deck level and carried further aft to allow a wider platform for the two beam attachments; also slightly wider transom.
    Full length, low freeboard (but carrying foils) floats will remain same as before.

Attached Files:

4. basil

basil Senior Member

sid-trimaran-5.jpg

Is this what you've been looking to see?

Baz

5. Gary Baigent

Light conditions but delightful sailing this morning. Slowly getting Sid sorted. Didn't like the dragging fully down windward foil so glassed both foils in solid to the cases and cut the tops off. Been thinking of doing this for awhile. Also cut and fitted a main hull high aspect daggerboard, forward of the mast and raked back. Now, although I positioned the J foils so the curved horizontal area is same depth as the main hull bottom, Sid zips along, windward and offwind, with no upwind foil drag. There is plenty of foil depth to still lift off in fresher winds, much the same as Groucho.

Attached Files:

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------------------
    Gary, when you say "liftoff" are you referring to lifting the main hull?

7. Gary Baigent

Yes, Doug, levers the main hull clear. But in light airs Sid is foil assist and you can see the lee hull is almost clear in the jpeg; around 3-4 knots wind.

8. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Awesome work Gary. Now can you get someone with a GoPro camera to take some footage and post it up here? Would love to see more about the Cox's Bay Skimmer too, and any other monohulls!

9. Gary Baigent

Here's B24/27 Miranda showing her foils, just back from trip to Coromandel.
    Have been sailing savage Sid but too fresh winds to take shots. Need to organise someone to follow in power boat.

Attached Files:

10. rayman

rayman Senior Member

Sid's a little ripper Gary, but where do you put the beer?? or do you dash from club to pub all day long???

11. Gary Baigent

You're right, Rayman, bereft of room for essentials - but there is one miserable bunk aft (with the under deck close to your nose); there was one forward too but since I've added the main hull daggerboard, bulkhead entrance is half blocked by the case ... but you could stow a beer or two there.
    But better to living graciously come ashore after day sailing and imbibe in comfort. Drunk on the narrow confines of Sid; asking to get gust blown off the slippery, sloping transom.

12. Gary Baigent

Couple of shots Jacques took just after I left the mooring. Sid goes to windward okay, went for a long board, very satisfying.
    Later in the North Easterly winds we've been having, for weeks it seems and continues, with no rain, place is getting parched, later some hard gusts came through and Sid lifted off (sailing to windward still) and went quickly but then there was a loud bang ... so I came back to mooring. Again, cracks at the foil exit area, will have to concentrate more carbon there ... because you can really feel very high loads in that area when flying.

Attached Files:

13. Gary Baigent

Sid with too much falloff. But the foiler is exceptionally fast reaching and offwind BUT on the wind, not so good, the main hull daggerboard needs increased depth - so am sorting that out while at the same time finishing Groucho's new wing mast: 15.6m x 520mm, straight luff.
    Couple of days ago Jacques and I delivered his old war horse Marguerite Star (modified Piver Nugget) to new owner at Whakatiwai, about halfway down the Firth of Thames, fantastic weather and fast sailing when we rounded Orere Point and got to the Firth because a decent swell was rolling in from the North East and the tri was surfing beautifully.
    Earlier we saw ETNZ 2 but they couldn't catch us, so they turned round in a sulk and headed back to the Viaduct, tail between their legs.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Great work, keep the pics coming! Ever wondered if something the size of an ac72 could be built using your methods? Or maybe just a C class cat? ....

15. Gary Baigent

Well, Sid is close to a C Class trimaran (there is no such thing) - just 400mm longer but of course much wider than a true C Class cat. In a way also similar to the Gougeons' C Class tri Victor T from back in the day, although Sid has a maddeningly small size cabin and one bunk, compared to no accommodation on Victor - which would be a lighter boat by 50kgs, at a guess.
    No, I'd swerve away, shuddering at the thought of building an AC72 in tensioned ply/glass/carbon. For starters you'd have to use at least 6mm ply then layers of carbon. Not saying it couldn't be done but the carbon/Nomex race versions would kill the bendy ply one, in stiffness, weight and performance - although the price would be a different story.
    Tensioned ply is okay up to a limit around 45 feet, imo; Hugo Myers' 44 foot Sea Bird was built close to this method but with open rounded V hulls. Sea Bird held the 24 hour record of 365 miles 24 hour back in its time, also a Transpac record too, I think.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.