Alaska liveaboard

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Kimberly, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly New Member

What kind of sailboat and keel would be best for light wind to heavy gales, occasional driftwood and sandbars, fast-moving tides, and LOTS of rain? My husband and I are starting to learn about sailing and someday (hopefully sooner than later) live aboard. Any advice or information is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

A cruising catamaran. Lots of lving space, and with shallow draft with a dagger board. The lighter weight will perform better in light winds (although the wetted area of a loaded cruising cat can compromise light wind performance), and the low heel angles are comfortable in a seaway.

Read:
    Canter, Charles E., "Cruising on More Than One Hull," Sailco Press, 1992. "How to compare, select and sail catamarans and trimarans for cruising."

3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Alaska Live Aboard

Hi
    I would sugest something thats moderate to heavy displacement (so it can carry all your stuff) and of sturdy construction. I would also suggest a divided rig of moderate sail area (plus a good engine). A cutter or ketch, I think would be a good idea. This way the rig can be gradually powered up or powered down. On a ketch, you can drop the mainsail in a squall and still carry on with just the jib and mizzen. With a cutter, you drop the jib, leave the staysail, reef the mainsail, then carry on with a much shorter sail plan.
    All this can be done with a minnimum amount of expensive gagetry. Being in Alaska, I would think that self reliance would be a prime vertue. If that is the case (I've never been there), I would think you need something simple and reliable. Something that you can fix yourselves if it breaks.
    Another thing I would look for is a long keel. I would value this for three reasons: One, for directional stability. So when the auto pilot breaks, you can do with out until it is either fixed or replaced. Two, so you can ground out on a low tide, leaning against a dock, so you can make underwater repairs without a travel lift. Three, so the rudder can be attached to the keel and protected by it. That way, the next log you hit does not take out the rudder.
    You will pay for this, of course, The next short fin keel boat you meet, be it sloop (which it probabley will be), cutter, or ketch, will whip your pants off if You should be foolish enough to race them. Also, mauevering will be on the slow side. Turning will be slow. Backing up may be difficult. But remember, we're talking about a Winnobago here, not a farrari. Let the short keel crowd try to live on your buget (and carry your stuff).
    There are 'compromise' designs too. These have a somewhat shorter keel and a masive sturdy skeg guarding the rudder. These can turn quicker, Sail a little bit faster in light winds, and yet still stand on thier keels when the tide runs out. Danny Green's 'Integrity' design is a good example. Ted Brewer's 'bullfrog' is yet another example. I would go with the full keel myself. That way, I would have more secure drying out.
    I would choose steel, fiberglass, or good, old fasion wood construction. Aluminum is strong for its wieght, but (from what I've read) its tricky. Of the three I would choose, Steel would stand out. It can hit a big rock and live to tell about it (but it needs to be watched for corrosion) Fiber glass would be next, With heavy diplacement, you can have massive lay ups. These too might give a big rock pause. Wood is good because it can be repaired with the least sophisticated equipment. It also has the best thermal insulation properties of the three.
    Size wise, I would go with something from the mid 30's to the low 40's. that way, I wouldn't be living in a doll house, yet wouldnt have to be Capt. Hornblower to work my own boat. If you can do it, smaller is better.
    My favorite designer is George Buehler. He just loves to design simple, rugged, heavy, full keelers with simplified construction. I would consider him first (he is the main reason I stayed out of yacht design). Other designers I would cosider would be: Jay Benford, Charles Whittholz, Tom Colvin and, perhaps, Bruce Roberts (his 'spray' designs may be the most spacious live aboards of thier length class). I hope I have been of some help.
    I've sure enjoyed pontificating.
    sharpii2

4. Kimberly

Kimberly New Member

Thanks for the replies. We are currently considering a Bayliner 295. It's pretty small, but hopefully good to learn on. :)
    Tspeer, I don't see many catamarans in this area. I wonder why. It could be that this is a commercial fishing area, so most have fishing boats?
    Sharpii2, thanks for your pontification. I agree with everything except the wooden hull. It would be last on my list because of maintenance and the swelling (or lack thereof) difference between above waterline and below.
    Thanks again!

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Bayliner does/did a sailboat? <shudder>

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.