AIT Around In Ten

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

That is why I put the furler at the stern right above my head where it is easy to get to.

After playing around with it I am confident that if well designed and well made it wont fail.
    The advantage that we have with a small heavy displacement boat is that we are not trying to make things light - we are making them strong - so no reason to fear breakages and if something fails it should be easy accessible.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      134.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Dries,

Thanks for bringing this to attention, I just looked it up, found it in post #266 on the ‘‘Aftmast rigs???’’ thread.

But page 153 is missing there, is it possible for you, or Brian, or someone else who has the book, to scan page 153, or make a PDF of it, and post it here . . ? ?

If anybody post it, thanks in advance [​IMG]

P.S. - Page 152 is missing too, but don't know if it's also about Bolger's Staysail Cat, if it is please post page 152 too, if anybody has it available.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  3. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

I have the books as an e-book, and can do nothing to scan pr pdf out. Amazon is too smart for me.....
    It is an important page however, as it shows a heavily raked back mast with double diamonds, and single shrouds, which looks as if it will allow the mast to rotate. Also has a wishbone attached about a third up the headstay, to maintain tension in the foot of the sail i suppose and reduce loads on the headstay.

I will read properly when I have time, I have to go and work now.

BTW, we just returned from voting in our national elections, so far so good and all went well and peaceful.

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Download a thing called Jays Snipping Tool - it's free and allows you to take a "picture" of anything on your screen !!

Attached Files:

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Snip it and paste it into Paint then save as a pdf.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

CTRL& Print Screen (keys on the keyboard) works too, Paste into Paint then save as whatever. It saves whatever is on the screen to Clipboard memory. This works with virtually all versions of Windows from 3.1 onwards.

8. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Serge Testa, Robert Manry, Yevgeny Gozdev, Gerry Spies....all used a mansail and a jib on their microcruisers with succesful voayages
    Is the Bermudan rig so much "better" over a balanced lug, junksail etc...for such small boats ?
    Heave to comes to mind, better windward sailing.......

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I don't recall if I have that page or not. If so it is likely on my other computer that is undergoing an update in its operating system. I'll look soon.

Here is another Bolger mast-aft arrangement/drawing I posted over here:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/aftmast-rigs-623-18.html#post410243

10. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Probably for survivability reasons. A masthead rig can be very strongly built. Even a fractional rig can be quite strong, if it has a back stay, spreaders, and an additional fore stay, that goes to the top of the mast.

With such a rig, the mast becomes mostly a compression post, rather than a cantilever beam. It can be light and quite tall and can have a relatively short boom. Long cantilever spars can be quite vulnerable, if they aren't massively built. And if they are, they can add massive top hamper.

Long yards and booms are also vulnerable to damage from capsizes and large waves.

It does little good to plan on taking the rig down, every time large, menacing waves are around, as this will be quite typical, on a global voyage.

Capsizes are likely to happen in somewhat "ordinary" conditions, caused by rogue waves.

Familiarity may be another reason. This was the rig they were used to seeing around, and maybe thought it was the best for that reason.

Sven did several tiny boat voyages, using a sprit rig (square top, not leg-o-mutton).

Since the sail is mostly square, the mast can be quite short and stout. The sprit can be quite resilient, as it just holds the far corner of the sail up, so may be able to bend from the sea's blows, rather than break.

A gaff rig might be a good second choice, as the mast can be somewhat short, have decent staying geometry, and still carry a decent amount of sail area. I like the idea of a jib, for self steering reasons. It also allows the mast to be stepped a little further aft, where it will be more accessible for the skipper.

11. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Valuable points you come up with.
    It seems that indeed only the last few decades the "old" rigs are being re-looked at so using what was common in the days of Spiess,Testa, Manry etc seems an acceptable explanation for the mainsail/jib usage.

Would a gunter rig or sliding gunter be a reasonable second choice for a ten footer ?

12. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I wouldn't use it.

The purpose of a sliding Gunter rig is to have what amounts to a reefable mast. This way, you can have a tall rig on a light, narrow skiff and lose much of the top hamper, as it breezes up and you reef.

On a very heavy boat, which is supposed to sail mostly down wind, and which has presumably a high range of stability, shortening up the mast, while reffing makes far less sense.

Better to turn this top spar into a gaff and produce far more sail area for the same mast height and spar length. The gaff will be no more vulnerable than the top spar of the Gunter, but far more useful in producing more sail area.

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

sharpii2 a lot of good info here quoted from your post on Yrvind:

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

My studies have found that a "pointed" bow on such a small boat is a waste of very valuable space.
    We must keep in mind that a scow won the mini Transat. I don't think too many people would have guessed that a "square" bow would perform that well.

I also found that with my under water profile being wider up front, made the boat less resistant which should mean faster. Your football and my ark is actually very close to each other. I just changed the top structure to make the accommodation more comfortable.

The modern "tools" that we have at our disposal makes it easier for an amateur to design a far better boat than what the old masters could do. They relied on experience and local knowledge of what they knew and saw and built according to that. To build a successful "ten" needs a fresh approach and a blank piece of paper. You have to think "out of the box" for a ten. What has fired me up is that after playing with hull shapes for days on end I got my hull design to show it could be capable of 5 knots with very low driving force.

15. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

touch wood.......
    quickly!
    ;-)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.